Zillow does not want the public to be informed!

I recommended another Zillow lender on a thread where a consumer directly asked for an honest lender. I did not promote myself, I don't even do loans in that state, I recommended someone who has proven themselves over time to be honest, helpful and knowledgeable. In Zillow's infinite wisdom, they removed my post citing it was a violation. When I asked why, this is what I received:

"By posting or promoting another lender's name in our Advice Section, it deprives other lenders of their equal opportunities to promote their services through our Zillow Directory. "

How exactly does a personal referral deprive anyone of anything. This is a stupid answer from a single minded person, promoting one does not demote another. Zillow, unfortunately has taken a turn for the worse. I have come to the conclusion that anyone shopping for a mortgage here is in dangerous territory. Zillow allows lenders to cheat, get caught and then unleashes them back on the public with no warning and now will not even allow us to direct the public to the honest ones when they ask. They allow their quoting system to produce inaccurate APRs, inaccurate calculations and they don't shut it down while fixing it. We are to play stupid and sit there while spammers, con artists and incompetents play Three Card Monty with the public while the registers go ching ching. 

If you are a consumer looking for a mortgage and thinking of working with anyone you found on Zillow, you should post their name on the advice forum and ask what their reputation is like. Do not assume that because anyone has a high rating or a "confirmed" badge that they are going to do the right thing for you. 
  • August 22 2009 - US
  • 6

Ok, the issue has been rsolved ...

And now .. back to your regularly scheduled programming. 

Thank you Zillow for resolving this matter.

Profile picture for Home Lending Pros.
Believe or not Mr. Denny i appreciate what you are trying accomplish.

Profile picture for Ray Stevens
Gregorio,

You are 100% right about what is wrong with Zillow and we all hope for change.  I also agree with you that lender ratings can be misleading with the obvious abuse with that system. 

However, I also agree with Robert that our Zillow clients are not completely vulnerable.  I have had many comment on the reviews and the seemingly one guy with a fantastic rate.  I have had clients test me on "where rates are going question" to which they agreed but just got off with a client who tried to tell them something different.  Many Zillow clients understand the bond market and how it affects rates.  I think they can weed through the dishonest lenders.

Takes us back to your question about having your referral removed.  Although you are a well respected lender referring another well respected lender, for all its faults, Zillow is running a business.  They will obviously develop rules and policies that promote the success of their business.  They want to drive as many people to their system as possible.  It is like the measures you take to ensure the continued success of your employer.  We manage locks and fraud to ensure our employer can stay in business successfully.

I could be wrong but that is the only reason I can think of why Zillow wouldn't allow you to refer another.

NTETS,

Zillow already has the capability to identify those that create accounts and threads that self promote. They have suspended people in the past for this. What I object to are the seemingly new rules that make little sense and that are not being enforced across the board. Only Elmer has come on the scene and is doing this and not even doing so consistently, in the same thread. Referring a competent colleague from the Zillow leader board is not self promotion. Zillow put it right there on the right hand side and me telling a consumer who asks for an honest lender to call someone from that list is not a violation. There is no way anyone will be able to convince me that it is. This is a simple case of someone with a little power and too much time on a Saturday!

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
in zillow's defense, imagine if you will a never-ending stream of self-promoting plugs involving multiple accounts and straw men... you have been on this site and you know how some people think. my personal opinion is that zillow needs to put in a 100 contribution probationary period (that resets if content is deemed spam or self promotional) with a different set of rules... their choice however represents the lesser of 2 evils, i think

Wow!  That is all I can say . . .

"we can't save the world."

It's a shame you feel that way, I don't even know where to begin with that comment. 

Profile picture for Home Lending Pros.
Gregorio,
With all do respect...please have faith that the consumer will see thru what is right for them.

we can't save the world.

all the best.