Zillow doesn't list HOA fee for Condos

The HOA fees is an important factor in making a buying decision, yet I don't find it on Zillow. Am I missing something?
  • June 17 2012 - Seattle
  • 3

A great Real Estate website is redfin.com they may not be in your area, but you will be able to search homes by the amount of HOA dues. This information is easily accessible and is crucial in making sure the homes you are looking at will be within your budget.

Also everyone needs to remember that we either are or are training to be real estate professionals, and the only reason why the crisis happened was not because of congress, or any other off shoot of real estate. It is because collectively as a whole real estate proffesionals, consumers, and law makers quit giving and taking good advice, and worse non professionals were let into the business.

So please keep it professional and share your knowledge to help consumers regain confidence in the market and the people that service it.

Just find a Realtor in your area and they will set you up for notifications straight from MLS , where you can see HOA fees. The listings on Zillow get updated not too often , so sometimes you will view the properties under contract but shows here as active. 

Wetdawgs:

You posted a statement here on this thread and I quote:  [inaccurate quote.  Deleted by Zillow moderator]".  Yet the original post from a prospective buyer correctly states that this information is valuable in making a purchase decision.

Can you tell us which HOA's have decided not to make their fees public?  In the state of FL, it is real estate law that sellers must disclose HOA fees to buyers in advance.

Wetdawgs:

Once again you fail to prove me wrong.  How about detailing your complaint about my Zillow analysis on my website, instead of just posting a false accusation?

@Mr. Barr: I do know what I'm talking about, and perhaps you need to spend some more time looking at your data to confirm that you are talking about apples to apples.   It is clear with a couple minutes investigation that you aren't, but you need to figure that out for yourself and I do not intend to help you except to say that your data are not apples to apples.

You write to Rachel "Real estate agents were accused in this thread as a reason for the housing crisis"   hunh?  Please show us which post says that.

@ Wetdawgs:

(removed for personal attack)  The information I list on my site clearly shows Zillow "valuing" Sarasota real estate at an 18% median price decline year over year.  The obvious apples to apples comparison I make is Zillow's median sales price based on their inaccurate Zestimates, and the true median sales price from our MLS.

I provide access to MLS data showing Zillow's median price for Sarasota is incorrect, and the median price did not decline 18%.  It was flat from 2010 to 2011, according to actual sold data.

@Rachel

(removed for personal attack)   I don't think I'd be incorrect or rude in stating you probably have never sold a home as a licensed real estate professional or worked with a buyer or a seller.

If the data Zillow used for the Sarasota market is so inaccurate, imagine how the PR machine for Zillow's "chief economist" making pronouncements about the national real estate market played on buyer and seller confidence during the housing crisis? There's lots of articles about it.

Real estate agents were accused in this thread as a reason for the housing crisis, when I made a comment about buyers needing agents to represent them, since banks are working with real estate agents for broker price opinions on short sales.  The real cause of the housing crisis was Congress forcing banks to make sub prime loans.

So Zillow started in early 2006?  OK.  I'll give you a couple of months.  My bad.

Homes were viewed on Zillow mobile 55 times a second?  How many complaints did Zillow receive per second when a buyer drove to a home that was listed for sale on Zillow mobile, but wasn't available ? I'm not being snarky. I'm asking a serious question.

Hi user379503,
Correct, we do not have the HOA information (for the most part). I don't know of other sites besides the MLS that regularly have it. I checked one listing just to compare us, Trulia, and Realtor and none of us had it. I did see that the link on the agent's website which has a direct MLS feed does HERE

Hi David,

You're comments are a little confusing. One says lenders do not use us for appraisals (which is true), but then you reference bank's loan contributing to the housing crisis, and then something about our rise in '05 and the housing crisis. Not sure what you mean. Zillow launched it's site on February 8th, 2006.Our timeline is here:
http://www.zillow.com/wikipages/Zillow-Timeline/
This last month was are biggest site visitor month yet. Homes were viewed on Zillow mobile 55 times per second in May 2012.

Please do not use personal attacks. Here is the Good Neighbor Policy for posting in advice. If we feel any content is inappropriate or off-topic, we reserve the right to remove it and, if we deem necessary, restrict access.

David:  I read the page on your webpage debunking Zillow, and discovered that you are comparing apples to oranges.  You may wish to review the data, because at the moment you compare statistics from your source for one community to Zillow's source for another community and use that to say Zillow is inaccurate.     Instead, your article reenforces your lack of attention to detail.  

Zillow for sale listings also have several agents listed to contact to get MLS information, but I was hoping after reading your post that Realtor had that information directly available. Unfortunately, they don't for most listings.

Unless I was interested in seeing the property with the listing agent, I would never call them to ask about HOA fees for property. I would not want to waste their time.

@Sunnydays

The simple fact that you can actually contact the listing agent on Realtor.com if the HOA is not listed, is head and shoulders over the alternative Zillow provides.  If clicking a button and asking a question is too difficult, well, life just sucks doesn't it?

@Wetdawgs

I have no concern about possibly offending potential buyers.  In fact, I have a page on my website devoted to debunking Zillow as it pertains to my local real estate market.  The buyers I get from Zillow are thankful that someone is telling them the truth.

Nasty or not, I will continue to treat you with respect Mr. Barr. I don't have "religious" beliefs that I share, but I do follow the Golden Rule on Zillow.

I did ask you to clarify your earlier misstatement about HOA fees being "readily available" on Realtor to the general public. The properties I looked at did not have them listed.

Emailing an agent to ask for the HOA fees is not the same as being able to look them up on Realtor myself, but maybe others would disagree.

Mr Barr: Zillow doesn't place ads, advertisers do.

I have no religious zeal for Zillow, and your continued nasty attacks are helping your potential future clients make some decisions about choosing an agent! 

This is not a "new model" of real estate.  It is an internet sham posing as a real estate website that only exists to sell advertising.

@Wetdawgs, the newspaper does not place ads.  Advertisers do. 

(removed by moderator  for personal attack)

Yes, of course I am aware that not all properties have HOA dues.  The 10 properties I checked are ones that I am aware that do have HOA dues. 

"request more information"  can also be done on Zillow and the many other sites.    Your original claim was that realtor.com had the information.  Apparently you are now retracting your claim.   Perhaps you could do it openly and honestly.

Curious idea.  Does the newspaper have to have a license to place advertisements of  real estate?  Magazines?   

Mr Barr has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't like Zillow or the new model of real estate where consumers have access to a lot of information without being totally dependent on an agent.   That's fine, but you still should be able to substantiate your claims.

Your personal attacks are inappropriate. 

@Sunnyview,  @Wetdawgs

I'm sorry I've upset your Zillow religious beliefs.  The simple fact is that you can click the "Request More Information" button and ask the listing agent what the HOA fees are. 

You are aware that not every property has an association fee, correct?

My real estate website IDX provider lists association fees where applicable.

On Zillow, since the great majority of the properties are not available in the first place, you cannot ask the listing agent to provide the information.  In fact, the listing agent on Zillow may not actually even be listing the property for sale.

Why such zealous defense of a blatantly misleading website?

You made a statement about the Realtor that seemed to be inaccurate based on my experience. I simply asked for you to help me find the HOA fees on Realtor since I did not find them there after looking at several properties.

My local MLS also does not list them. In my area, you have to get them directly from the association or from the local title company, but I'm sure every area has their own system.

BTW Since you seem concerned, you might want consider adding your license number to your Zillow profile page. Many Boards now allow an easily accessible hub page on a site like Zillow or Trulia to serve as a single source for license information. That makes it more convenient for agents posting multiple replies.

Mr Barr:  I have the same question as Sunnyview.  On some properties on Realtor.com I find the HOA information, certainly not all.   In fact, I opened 10 condo/townhouses that are listed for sale and exactly one showed the HOA information.

@Sunnyview:

When you can provide me the website URL displaying Zillow's supposed real estate license number, I'd be happy to.

Real estate laws require licensed real estate brokers to supply their license number and disclose their license status prominently in any advertising, which would include this website.

May I ask where the HOA cost information is for condos on Realtor? I don't see it on condo listings there.

@Wetdawgs

"The HOA's have decided this isn't public information"?

Really?

Or is it that Zillow can't just scrape this data from the tax records?

HOA data is readily available through licensed real estate professional's websites and on Realtor.com

I agree with user379503, I think there should be a spot for it,also providing for the date it was inputted and whether it is monthly or yearly. It would help the consumer...however I am sure most consumer's realize that Zillow gets it's data from 3rd party providers and they know its simply a Zestimate and they should consult a professional, right :)

@Sunnyview:

Yes, we can see how it panned out for the banks when Barney Frank required banks to make sub prime loans.  So when a buyer didn't have to prove income to get a 3 year ARM leading up to the housing crisis, yeah, I guess when you are drinking the Zillow Koolaid, it's the agent's fault.

In fact, there's plenty of articles drawing interesting comparisons to the beginning of Zillow's rise in 2005 and the housing crisis.

The fact that Zillow implemented a "no appraisal" term in their TOS after so many people found out that there so many inaccurate Zestimates is laughable.   "You can't use my flawed data"....brilliant marketing ploy.

"The seller in a short sale, or the bank in a foreclosure, is employing teams of real estate agents and lawyers to represent their interests."

True and we can all see how far hiring a team of real estate agents and lawyers has panned out for the banks. I'd say they were smarter spending their money on lobbyists, but that's another story.

Zillow does not list HOA fees because they change and to be on Zillow they have to be posted by the owner or agent. Some local MLS have the current HOA fees listed, other's don't, but it is smart to look into them before you make an offer.

Zillow gets their listings from 3rd party providers, real estate companies and listing agents. Rarely does the public side of real estate sites show the HOA fees so there is no information to transfer over to Zillow.

Just listing the HOA fees can be deceiving as some fees are collected monthly, quarterly or yearly. And the HOA fees won't take into account proposed and pending assessments or any tax assessments/ improvements.

A Realtor in your area would be able to provide you with the HOA information as well as any pending and proposed assessments.

Zillow doesn't present HOA dues unless the agents and/or owners provide the information.  This is unfortunate, but HOAs have decided that this isn't public information and Zillow is only able to present public information and the information provided by agents and/or owners.     I agree with your frustration that HOAs and listing parties don't make this information more readily available. 

The agent who posted earlier in the thread apparently doesn't realize that Zillow does have a real estate license in one state,  but doesn't broker real estate transactions (found in "terms of use" section 13).

Lenders who don't use Zillow as an appraisal are complying with Zillow's terms of use.  I consider that a good thing.

Should you hire an agent to represent your interest, make sure you chose one who can read the fine print and doesn't pass on rumors.

Yes, you are missing a great deal.

Zillow is not a licensed real estate broker.  They are not in business to sell you a home.  They are in business to sell advertising on this site.

Zillow scrapes public tax records, takes the tax value and applies an automated algorithm to arrive at a Zestimate.  There is not one single lending institution that will allow an appraisal using a Zestimate.  Many times, the property is not even available for sale.

Your best option is to hire a local Realtor to represent your interests.  The seller in a short sale, or the bank in a foreclosure, is employing teams of real estate agents and lawyers to represent their interests.