Profile picture for USS Enterprise

Zillow misreporting home data - foreclosure that never happened?

Hi, the zillow info for my home reports a foreclosure that never happened. Further, it reports my purchase of the home as a purchase at foreclosure auction, when it was NOT. In fact, it was purchased with a regular mortgage, as a regular sale. No foreclosure involved. It NEVER HAPPENED.
I have been to the town hall, and pulled ALL public records and home details on my home, and there is no records of any foreclosure, and they list my purchase as a normal sale.
After speaking with them, and escalating the issue through them to see if anyone had more info, they have no idea whatsoever where zillow is getting this info.
It appears to be out of thin air?

I have been flagging the transaction for months, and have has no action, and no response, at all from zillow. It still sits.
My financial instituation, and in fact most of them in my area (I have called many) use the Zestimate and zillow sales history for their "drive-by" appraisals.

I am trying to refinance due to the super-low rates and could save 500 bucks if zillow's sales history and false info were corrected.

Or, I could pay out of pocket due to zillow's error.

Plus, it would stop neighbor's from asking my why my house was foreclosed on when it wasn't, and investor's from knocking on my door trying to buy my home, which is not for sale.

World of hurt zillow causes - maybe I should pursue it legally?

March 24 2013 - US

Profile picture for bjdrad
Thank you for correcting this.

Profile picture for jeanyh
Hi bjdrad,

I'll follow up with you offline to get your errors corrected. 

Thank you!
Jeany

Profile picture for bjdrad
i have the exact same problem.  they will not correct the sales info.  my house was not purchased in foreclosure, but zillow shows that it was.

Profile picture for jeanyh
Thanks for your posts everyone!  I was able to get the corrections submitted into our database.  USS Enterprise, I apologize for the errors, the updates should go through soon.  I've emailed you as well.

Thank you for using Zillow!

Jeany

Profile picture for jeanyh

I received your email and am looking into the issue.

Jeany

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Back to

If they do not respond to the flags or here then I suggest you try Emailing one of these Zillow Staff members ..Click Contact on their Profile

Ice L.

Neil Roxas

If you do not hear back in a reasonable amount of time then go up the ladder & try

Russ Hatfield  ..Customer and Community Support

Rachel Rosen ...Customer support

Good Luck.... ;)

He can't use the 24 hour flag anymore, as with the deletion of the "foreclosure" information, there now no longer is a "foreclosure" section to have the 24 hour flag...

I think he will have to Email Russ or Rachael, or Jeany or one of the customer service people that Emailed him instead.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Well maybe if you use the "Prioritized" flag you'll get the "nominal 24 hour response" from Zillow and they'll fix the fix ;)

Hopefully you won't need to use any of the flags that don't qualify for the "nominal 24 hour response"...

Profile picture for USS Enterprise
Argh.
Well, it appears that the foreclosure info was deleted.

Which was a double-edged sword, and could have possibly made it worse.

Instead of just deleting the foreclosure part, and leaving the accurate part (such as date of sale and purchase price)

They deleted any and all referenses to the property's sale as a whole.

Now there is no longer ANY record whatsoever of the purchase price or sale date of when I bought my home.

And says last sale date was 2 years ago for 5k.

Which is ENTIRELY not accurate.

Not to mention I spent over 200k on it last year.

Argh again.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Well that explains the "flagging the for months, and have has no action, and no response"......used the report a problem or transactions or taxes flag and shoulda used the "prioritized" flag ;)

Says more about using the report a problem or transactions or taxes flag than it does about if the "prioritized" flag gets a response imo

According to Russ in customer service, there are several different flags on the home details pages, such as the "transactions", and the "report a problem", and the "taxes"...  There is a separate flag in the "foreclosure information" section.  That is the one that is prioritized for a nominal 24 hour response (during working hours/days).  But they still state it takes nominally 3 days to correct after their "response".

I'm still convinced that if they don't intend to keep old auction dates for "general information", they need to set up a crawler for their site to purge "pre-foreclosure" info from any homes where the auction date already passed.  Sure, the auction could have been "postponed", but then they would already be receiving new information regarding the status from their data providers in that area.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
This is what the Posters complaint was..
"I have been flagging the transaction for months, and have has no action, and no response, at all from zillow."

Not an uncommon complaint (Flagging did not work for this and other issues) if watching the questions in Zillow Questions

Not apparently always the best way

Profile picture for jeanyh
The best way to report erroneous foreclosure information is to flag it on Zillow.  Instructions on flagging can be found in our Help Center:

http://www.zillow.com/help/report-foreclosures/

Thank you!

Jeany

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Good luck..am hoping to hear good news

Profile picture for USS Enterprise
Well, I have received a number of emails from zillow support indicating the information I provided was deemed accurate, and the transaction was deleted.

Hopefully, now it can reflect the actual purchase date, price, etc....
One thing I forgot to mention was that due to the error, it was not reporting my purchase of the home at all, but instead a different date and price.

They say it will take 3 days to show, we'll see what happens.

Pasadenan, it shows none of that. Just shows the transaction, price, and states foreclosure auction.
Oddly, it lists the date and price I purchased the property as the "foreclosure auction" transaction, which is not true.

But in the home data, it lists the last sale as a different data and price.

The info is just all screwed up.

I hope this fixes it.

I will update everyone when i see a change.

Thanks, guys!!

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Bump..we'll see if maybe a Zillow rep will respond/assist you
(if they haven't already?)

Profile picture for jeanyh

We apologize for the difficulty you have had in receiving a response to your request.  The foreclosure information has been removed from our database.

I also sent you an email.  Please let me now if there is anything else I can help you with.

Thank you,
Jeany

USS Enterprise; just for curiosity... does yours say "notice of default issued", or "auction date set"?  And if so, what dates are given?

I asked Zillow a few weeks ago what their policy was on auction dates that already passed... whether they intend to leave them for "reference", or if the intent was to remove any that are no longer "pre-foreclosure"...  They said they are checking for an "official response" and will get back to me once they have it.  I have received no answer yet.  I'm assuming that means they haven't made up their mind yet, and it is still in discussions with the board, the CEO, the two primary owners, and legal council.

Profile picture for USS Enterprise
Tell me about it.

I agree, it may not be, and is likely not, zillow's fault for errors. However, it IS zillow's fault that once notified of such error, they refuse to correct it. At that point, there is no one to blame BUT zillow.

I have flagged the transaction again, as suggested. It has been over 24 hours, but I of course did not expect a response on a weekend day.

Let's see if it gets corrected over the next couple of days.

Incidentally, going through the info with a fine-tooth comb, I found a couple of other errors. Such as zillow lists th basement as finished space, however it is not. And thorough review of the property records (which I have) plainly state UNFINISHED SPACE on it.

No biggie, as I will finish it eventually. So it will eventually be accurate.

I just want this issue resolved.

Thanks for the help so far guys, you have been wonderful. I will keep you all updated.

Zillow has their own legal department, and they don't seem to mind suing... if you find a business intentionally violating Zillow's terms of use, report it so that at least Zillow's legal council can send them legal notification to stop their illegal practice, or be sued.

But Zillow has less than 10% market share of AVM's.  Most major financial institutions have their own, and those that don't, pay for service from numerous ones that offer pay for service.

The major players for "pay for service" AVM's are:

1) First American Core Logic
2) Fiserv, Inc. ("Fiserv")
3) IntelliReal, LLC ("IntelliReal")
4) Interthinx, Inc. ("Interthinx")
5) Lender Processing Services, Inc. ("LPS")
6) Precision Appraisal Services, Inc. ("Precision Appraisal")
7) Real Data, Inc. ("RDI")
8) RealEC Technologies, Inc. ("RealEC")
9) American Flood Research, Inc. ("AFR")
10) Electronic Appraiser, Inc.  ("Electronic Appraiser")
11) Espiel, Inc. ("Espiel")

Some of the other well known "free" AVM's are:
homes.com

Realestate.com/homepricecheck

finestexpert.com

Homesand.net

Eppraisal

realquest.com express

cyberhomes.com

trulia

chase

homegain

If a lender or appraiser refers to a "FREE" AVM, it is likely because you don't have access to the proprietary AVM, or the subscription AVM they use.  Or, of course it could be someone who has no clue what they are doing, that is just trying to cut corners and save a few of their own nickels.

None of the AVM's are going to give you the same numbers.  All if the AVM's make major assumptions that need to be verified and adjusted for.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Well I for one would like to thank the USS Enterprise for taking the time to respond/participate...kinda nice when that happens ;)

My position is not and never has been that this all falls on Zillow's shoulders but I do think there is room for improvement
I think we all pretty much agree there are some issues here that could be..should be handled better

"I'm not just trying to cheap out and save on the appraisal. "

Need to clarify that I do not believe that you are being cheap. The cheap comment referred mainly to the banks and some borrowers who are unwilling to pay for appraisal period.  Any appraisers who uses Zillow as a basis for their appraisals instead of running actual comps from the MLS should be run out of business. Wish I could say no appraiser would do that, but I know some would and it makes me ill.

I believe that borrowers should have a right to request an appraisal if the AVM does not come in high enough for their requested loan. At that point, it would be up to the borrower whether or not to pay up front to see if the value is there in a traditional appraisal or not. Right now, many banks refuse to allow the borrower to pay for an appraisal. Instead, they hang the entire pre-lending decision on an AVM like Zillow. That is wrong. Relying exclusively on any AVM to make lending decisions is bad practice.

Obviously, Zillow needs to seriously address the listing of incorrect foreclosures and have a better process to verify/remove that information. It is bad business to not correct information once notified. If I was the owner, I would insist on a timely correction and would not be satisfied until it was removed.

Profile picture for USS Enterprise
And the 2nd thing, I have an ASSUMPTION on how this "foreclosure" issue happens.

2. In my case, the previous owner went to steps to place his home under a trustee. Luckily I have access to them, and why. Wife died, and husband was ill. Severely. Husband placed home with trustee attorney upon being placed into nursing home, where he deteriorated to the point of not being able to manage himself, let alone financial transactions.

Said attorney managed sale for owner, and we bought it.

What APPEARS to be happening, is any time the "data sources" say TTE (or trustee) zillow ASSUMES that it MUST mean foreclosure!
As of course what other reason in the world could there be for a TTE? *rolleyes*

When in actuality there are a NUMBER of reasons for a TTE.

If I am right, than that would explain why there are so many false foreclosure flags, and why it takes so long to get cleaned up.(zillow looks at data, sees TTE (trustee) and goes" Gee, there was a TTE, it MUST have been a foreclosure, I wonder why this keeps getting flagged. Well, I'll leave it then") and it never gets changed.

This seems to mount to a lack of caring to verify data, a lack of training and ability of those it hires to "verify" said data, and lack of desire to accurately report. In fact, lack of anything but to just throw numbers up, and collect the revenue generated.

Thanks, zillow. Please fix my issue.

Profile picture for USS Enterprise
Interesting reading that news article. Seems I'm not alone. Reading Zillow's statement in that article, they say they respond within a day.
In my case it's been months.

I have 2 things I'd like to clarify to you all as well.

1. I'm not just trying to cheap out and save on the appraisal. I have bought a couple of other properties as well, and have been part of other real estate transactions. As such, have spoken to a large number of appraisers.
Believe it or not, even the appraisers in my are use zillow as a baseline for their appraisals. I was incredulous, and so a couple of weeks ago, decided to try a test.
I called a number of random appraisers out of the phone book, and told them I was thinking of selling, and wanted an appraisal. The first thing most f them did, was ask for the address, look it up on zillow, and tell me they can get me an appraisal that meets or beats zillow slightly.

???? Seriously?

Therefore I must conclude a LARGE number of industry :professionals" have learned, or become accustomed to, relying on sites such as zillow in their day-to-day jobs, instead of doing the work themselves.

And it appears to be a widespread issue. Zillow's policies be damned. You're right. If it can't be enforced, then there's no one to stop them.

So, yes,  can pay 500 bucks for the appraisal instead, but why, when they ALSO use zillow's price?
Zillow may PROHIBIT anyone from using them, but it's not stopping them. And absolutely, it IS AFFECTING the business, institutions and owner's alike, but it's very existence.
Saying "hey, don't" doesn't change that. Something needs to be done.

Profile picture for blub blub blub
Local NBC news story on subject

Real Estate Site Lists False Foreclosures

Profile picture for Dunes ..
All right..back at ya ;)

"True enough. The question becomes who's problem is that"
Agreed

"Otherwise why should the bank or Zillow care about individual borrowers."?
Another good question ;)

"The "Terms" mean nothing if it's not possible to enforce them in some manner or there is no interest in enforcing them .."

True enough. The question becomes who's problem is that. Is it Zillow's responsibility to sue banks who use Zillow outside the TOU then refuse to offer an alternative of an actual appraisal at the borrower's expense to assess lending risk? If you want this shoddy practice of relying on AVM's to change, talk to your Congressman. HVCC was supposed to take care of poor appraisal practices once and for all, but no such luck.

Zillow is much like WebMD. Lots of information in broad strokes. However, only the incompetent or terminally stupid rely on automated advice instead of a paid professional opinion for important life decisions. Bank use Zillow because it is available and borrowers got used to not paying for appraisals for their instant HELOC's, refi's or seconds.

Lazy and cheap begot lazy and cheap. If you want it to change, push for the law to change. Otherwise why should the bank care about individual borrowers? Banks care about money not right or wrong. It's government's money behind the loans. Shouldn't the government be willing to enforce and set the laws to protect the interest of fairness in lending?

I have the same problem, too.  My listing recently changed to state that I bought my home through foreclosure.  This is not so.  No foreclosure has ever been involved with my property.  I wrote a message to the website and am hoping that someone responds by correcting it.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
USS... the No response..No Action complaint/observation/issue is not some rare or unusual event
It Happens..it shouldn't happen as often as it seems it does

The whole Terms of use, they aren't suppose to issue ...has been brought up and posted about, discussed for years..
IMO ..
The "Terms" mean nothing if it's not possible to enforce them in some manner or there is no interest in enforcing them (They are just window dressing/an cop-out)
Zillow say they ain't suppose to and it ends there appears to be the sum total of Zillows interest imo
See no evil..Hear no Evil

I wish you luck in your attempt to get a response from Zillow
You could try?

Rachel Rosen ...Customer support

I'm sorry to hear that Zillow hasn't been responsive.  I flagged your post for customer service to respond.

Sunnyview has a good point about lenders who are using Zillow.   You write "My financial instituation, and in fact most of them in my area (I have called many) use the Zestimate and zillow sales history for their "drive-by" appraisals."  

Yet Zillow writes in their Terms of Use  (section 1) " Without limitation, lending professionals and institutions are prohibited from using the Services in making any loan-related decisions."   Therefore, it looks as if a data error is being compounded by lenders violating Zillow's terms of use (yet another legal issue?).