Zillow now charging to post listings!

We are sad to see this 

• December 15 2009 - Clackamas
  • 0

There is a recession on. Everyone has to make some money.

Profile picture for droopyd
Maybe this will help reduce the number of incorrect/outdated listings that arise through "autobot" harvesting.

I had thought that listings that came off the feeds were free and that only individually added featured listings cost money. I also thought that agents could still send listings on a feed and then add more photos for free as an enhancement to the listing on the feed. Is that wrong? I am not an agent, but am interested in how the new system works. 

Listings that come through a feed are still free.  The $10 is for featured listings only.  They claim that they get more traffic than the regular listings, I don't buy it.

It is just too annoying when you do a search for a house in a particular zipcode for homes between 200K-300K, you have to go through ALL the featured listings even in the neighboring zipcodes first that don't even match your criteria before you get to the list you want.  I wouldn't put up with that and I don't expect savvy buyers to either.

Naima

Naima- Yes, you are correct that listings that come to us via feed (97% of our listings today) are free.  And that if you pay the $9.95 for 180 days of advertising, the listing will be Featured.  And to be clear, Featured listings only come up at the top searches when the MATCH the user's search criteria. 

We most definitely tracked the traffic on Featured vs Non Featured listings and found that on average they recieve 6 times the traffic. 

Think about Google, it is no doubt that something at the top of search results gets more traffic than someone on the third page.  Why don't you think the same theory would apply to a listing search?  Most people are most definitely likely to view something at the top of the first page. 

Zillow just lost my business with this move.  Other websites such as Trulia and others have live feeds for my area (Fresno, CA) and therefore the average pricing estimates for the area are more accurate.  Zillow, in my professional experience, is typically at least 20% off value for any estimates of current market value for our area.  Which is the reason I was giving advertising dollars to other websites for featured listings.  Now by removing the ability to post any listings without paying on zillow, it will only discourage other agents for going through the effort of manually posting which in turn will make the values for our area even more inaccurate.  I just don't understand the logic.

I am absolutely ecstatic that they did this!!! Get rid of the bad data, and ULTIMATELY get rid of the agents who complain about 9.95 for marketing! Go back to waiting tables and let the professionals work!