Profile picture for yooyanks

Zillow sucks

How they come up with their Zestimate I'll never know. I wish there was a way to get my home off of their site.
  • September 14 2007 - US
  • 7

Profile picture for avokaty
I believe the Zestimate is based on the past history of sales on the particular home. Zestimate is, of course, only an estimate - and I am sure there is a formula they use for how much a home increases in value each year, based on the location of the home. Sometimes, these estimates are way off - but this is usually because of poor information on the home, i.e. when homes are "refinanced", this information can be shown as a "sale" on the home.

yooyanks -

You can learn more about Zestimates here: http://www.zillow.com/howto/DataCoverageZestimateAccuracy.htm

If you reply with the address I'll try and explain how we came up with the Zestimate.

Profile picture for yooyanks
7607 73rd Pl Ne, Marysville Wa 98270
Yes...I'm very curious as to how they came up with the Zestimate. Why is my home showing 50,000 less than my two next door neighbors? This I've got see.

Your home has a lower tax assessed value than the others by 30 thousand dollars, which does have an effect on Zestimate calculations.

You home has a tax assessed value of $332,200 - http://www.zillow.com/Charts.htm?chartDuration=5years&zpid=38579949

7301 - assessed value is $361,00 - http://www.zillow.com/Charts.htm?chartDuration=5years&testAds=false&zpid=38579948

7505 - assessed value is $361,400 - http://www.zillow.com/Charts.htm?chartDuration=5years&zpid=38579950

Profile picture for yooyanks
That is incorrect and must be years old. My assessed tax is 391,000
Maybe you should inform the county as to give me some relief from my taxation? The bottom line is I hope the county get it's information from your site. If so...you can zestimate my home at 200,000. ;)

Profile picture for beachnit
Zillow is so screwed up!!! They have my house listed as being built in 1969...it was built in 1991....BIG DIFFERENCE!!! It also does not have the lot size correct...we have 2 lots (the house is on one...and we own the one right next to it!) So...it is on 2 lots!! I am very frustrated with their website!!

Profile picture for yooyanks
Well drew, you're right. This year my assessed value is 332,000. Next year shows 391,500.

benjamin-
note I've removed your reply as a result of name-calling (your morons mention). Keep comments to the issues and don't call people names.

Profile picture for benjamin.merkley
Okay... so people that run zillow are not appearing very bright. How's that?

My house is 2100+ sq feet, on a 10K+ lot with a pool, travertine flooring, granite counters, 5 bed, 3 bath, etc.

My neighbor across the street is smaller lot, 980 sq feet house, with no upgrades (not pretty inside at all)....

Yet our 'zestimates' are within $5K of each other?!?! That doesn't make sense to anyone, is there anyway to get my house off of Zillow until you all learn how to assess a value more correctly?

We don't remove houses due to everything being a matter of public record.

Please note that Zestimates are not the final word regarding a homes value -- they are a starting point. We'll improve our accuracy over time as we add additional data and improve our algorithms, but no AVM (automated valuation model) will ever be 100% accurate.

Profile picture for benjamin.merkley
It's funny how this entire forum is people complaining and giving specific examples about how bad the "Zestimates" are, yet this joke of a site keeps sticking to them or hiding behind "it's just a starting point"... I hope someone files a class action suit, I really do.

Profile picture for rinshinnomori
Like many have already stated there is a major problem with your estimates. We live in 94040 and purchased our home in 1980. 50-60% of homes on our street and two streets near us (similar neighborhood with lots in excess of 9500 sq ft - our lot is over 10,400 sq ft) have been sold within last 5-7 years reflecting better price estimates. Some of these homes are smaller than our home yet the estimate is much higher.

Also, in our area it's not the house, but it's the lot size that makes the difference. Many people purchase homes near us just to get the lot, demolish the house and rebuild a new one. Yet, I see homes on much smaller lots going for much higher estimate because of the recent sales within last 5-7 years.

Profile picture for benjamin.merkley
What a joke... I just looked at my comparables and they have condo's in my comps.... I live in a house with about a 10K sq foot lot and you're putting condo's in my comps?!?! What a joke!

Profile picture for yooyanks
To zillow employees, it sure seems that there are alot of unhappy people out there. I think I read where one employee stated that the algorithim needed to be adjusted. This is what you get when you use automated processses, but I understand the need for such a high volume of homes. I also read that zillow is going to be taking into consideration the owners facts into their zestimate. Let's hope they do.
As things stand today, how about we just agree that zillow's zestimates are usually far off the mark? Starting point? Hmmm....I think not. If I ever decide to sell, I am truly hoping any potential buyer doesn't come out me with all the current zillow data. I'll just laugh at them.
For example with my property, my neighbors have a 50K increase over my home zestimate. I'm thinking it might be that small 4th bedroom they have. But they also don't have the view "money shot" that I do, property size I do, or their homes haven't been built with the quality components that mine has. ie. Hardi plank siding vs the dreaded LP products or T111. Plus I have extensive millwork in my home...more so than homes valued 4 times the price. What can I say? I just like the way it makes a home feel and I'm extremely handy. Also, your comps like Benjamin stated are laughable as well.

Profile picture for egoldtech

I think the site is GREAT, and the tools are great .
you are , mad because you and some other "inflate" the bubble, and the prices are not near of the real estimate .

[content edited by moderator due to personal insult]

Profile picture for Fourf
In zillow's defense, many of the things that you are speaking of, neighbors 4th bedroom (huge positive, especially if extra sq footage btw), extra molding, quality of materials etc., may actually show that your home is overbuilt for the area. More importantly there is no way to verify your addons electronically. A bank appraiser might elevate the quality of your home compared to others in the area, but only to degree that it is not overbuilt for the neighborhood.

I do agree with you that if they are using incorrect comps, comps from the wrong neighborhood, then that is something that they should correct. My guess is that you are being affected by recorded activity on your property, or the lack of it. If for example you are the original owner and never pulled permits, refinanced or anything, you will automatically get a different value than a neighbor whose property has.

But since your not interested in selling -- we are really only talking about something pretty meaningless arent we? Who cares what anyone says about the value of our homes, unless we have it on the market?

Profile picture for prasadtunga
Fourf, you are right on!!! keep it up!

Profile picture for ptg1970
I have regularly checked my home on this site and have always been baffled by the results. After some time, zillow corrected my square footage (they were only listing half). My next door neighbor has the same floor plan and still have her listed at half the square footage. When I looked at the site today, my house had a 15k price drop for the past 30 days, and hers had a 1k price increase. We have similar size lots. But according to zillow, 900 sq. ft., 3 bd, 2.5 bth is worth slightly more than 1800 sq. ft., 3bd. 2.5 bth.
I dont get it.

Profile picture for ptg1970
I dont get it.

Profile picture for bhnddawg
In the past 30 Days I saw that the value of my house Zestimate dropped from I think 317 K to 304K. What would cause this? Thank you

Profile picture for yooyanks
Actually I figured it out possibly why my home is showing 50K lower than my neighbors. It's the satellite photo. It shows my grass extremely brown. I think your site needs to take a current photo of it. That may help.

yooyanks-
I promise you that the aerial imagery of your home has absolutely nothing to do with its Zestimate.

Profile picture for ptg1970
Hey Drew, I was reall hoping for a reply to my post from earlier this morning.
I live in Graham and really so no rhyme or reason for the values that you have assigned my home.
My house is just shy of 1800 sq. ft., 3 bd, 2.5 bth, with .36 acre lot. Zillow showed a 15k decrease for the 30 day period. My next door neighbor has the same house, with a slightly bigger lot. But Zillow shows her house to be 900 sq. ft., 3 bd., 2.5 bth.
While my house declined considerably, her home inched up a bit.
Zillow now has her house as worth slightly more that mine, but again Zillow is showing half the size. Is there an answer to this?

Profile picture for ptg1970
I did have another question relating to the price per sq. ft.: Zillow lists mine as $304, how do you get a value of $275k for 1794 sq. ft. ?

Profile picture for seatacone386134

I agree... I have not signed any documents to allow these jokers access to my info. I would like to remove my property from their database

Roy

mick-

Comment removed.

Profile picture for sakidd12

eappraisal.com has more realistic estimates

Profile picture for FavoriteAgent

This is a tool and a free one. Why complain. Public info is everywhere else why would you discriminate against this site.

Profile picture for Dehuff

In my opinion the valuations given by Zillow are a mixed bag. Some accurate, some not.  If you have or are searching for a home in a cookie cutter housing tract where all the homes are roughly the same age and there are only a few basic models  by the same developer using similar features and construction, Zillow is probably pretty accurate in their valuations.  Where the site suffers is a general lack of confidence many people have due to numerous posts complaining that there are OBVIOUSLY some very bad Zestimates in the database.  Zillow's response is usually "its just a starting point." (Oh well).  That usually doesn't wash well with people who have their homes on the market and who think potential buyers may be influenced by what the seller considers a low Zestimate.  Of course, Zillow's Zestimates are probably somewhat high in some cases also. However, I have never noticed anyone posting on this site a complaint that their Zestimate is too high. They will just be happy or think it's accurate and say nothing.

One positive thing about this site is you can get somewhat useful  info without having contact with realtors unless or until you are ready.

Profile picture for ejgallaher

DeHuff -

*************

"However, I have never noticed anyone posting on this site a complaint that their Zestimate is too high. They will just be happy or think it's accurate and say nothing."

***************

Look a little closer!

May 31

"I have been looking at homes in 58052 area of Vegas. And alot of the homes the Zestmate is higher than what the house is listed for. If its more than what they are asking its not very helpfull for me. How can I get a better idea of a price for a house then?

Thanks Harry"

And here's another one from May 31

What do I need to do to get Zillow's attention? Brookfield, WI erroneously up 29.4% in 30 days.

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4