Zillow vs Redfin

I am on the west coast who switched from Zillow to Redfin, and now planning to move to Dallas/FW area and sadden that Redfin does not work in this area. 

Redfin is more accurate. User friendly, Not as cluttered, and more accurate. 

Zillow is able to compare for sale houses, and sold on the same map. 

I am strangely loyal to zillow I just wish they would clean up their act a little bit more. For the last month its only been showing 72 sales of property's in all of Dallas. Now how do you expect me to want to use this site when there is MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR problems with your accuracy in this area? 

Someone please help tell me what zillow is doing to fix this issue and quickly?

December 03 2010 - Dallas

It is not Zillow that is the problem with values.  Texas is one of the few states does not require the disclosure of the sold price of a property.  So that information is not available to them like it is in CA.  They do what they can will the recorded value of mortgages and other sources but in the end their numbers can be way off.

As to the other issue of only showing 72 sold properties for last month I can not say but my guess it is related in some way to their link to the Dallas county records database.

The best source in Texas will be an appraisor or real estate agent with access to the local MLS.

Best of luck with your relocation.  Bruce

Pasha, I would be delighted to help you. I can set up web based searches that will show active listings in areas you are searching, and keep you up to date on their status. I am also happy to map recent sales for you. Please call [contact info removed by moderator]

Redfin or zillow's model don't work in TX because as Bruce explained it is a non disclosure state.  Zillow uses data from public records to compute the zestimate and it makes it worthless for us because they use the loan amount for data comparison.

It would be in your best interest to work with a local Realtor that can guide you.  Doing the homework on your orwn would just be too time consuming and you won't be able to find the sales data without a Realtor that will act as your buyer's agent.

As far as the # of sales showing on Zillow, I wouldn't care about that as well if you can't tell what their sales price was either.

Naima

Profile picture for efenter
Pasha, I am searching for homes in the DFW area too, and don't want to use an agent for my search until my home sells.  So, I have just about memorized every home for sale in the city in which I plan to move. 

I mainly use Zillow, but like you stated, sometimes the listings are inaccurate. I also use Realtor.com and Trulia.com to see if there is something different on those sites and cross reference my findings with Zillow.  Zillow is by far my favorite, but Realtor seems to be more up to the minute with listings.  I keep a close eye on homes for sale on my street and Realtor drops the listing as soon as the for sale sign comes down.  Zillow has also, with those listings, but others are still showing for sale that no longer are in other areas.  On Realtor.com, it doesn't always list it in the "recent sales" because like the above agents said, Texas is a non-disclosure state, but sometimes recent sales are listed.  I recommend those three, but have few complaints about Zillow- it offers an easier map for viewing, more links to the listings' website if there is one, and more pictures.

I think your main issue is that Redfin is a real estate brokerage. Listings are directly from the MLS. Profits are from clientele.

Zillow is an information/data website. Listings are from "feeds" or manually input (not as many checks/balances as an MLS driven site for searches). Profits are from advertising.

It depends where you live Montana doesn't give out sales prices either.  Sometimes it's best to locate a website that feeds directly from the MLS.  The information is "fresher" or you can contact a local agent and they can the legwork for you.

[link removed by moderator]

FHA House Appraisal Guidelines
Do you Looking for a Real Estate Market Analysis Website in DFW?
Profile picture for JANET HUERTA
Latest reply by JANET HUERTA
Affect of Cemetery past the backyward wall and after main road.
Profile picture for Call The  Sisters
Latest reply by Call The Sisters
February 26 2013 | 10 answers
Remote seller signing of closing papers.
Profile picture for Optimus012
Latest reply by Optimus012
Market Conditions: Sales have risen stongly in lower price ranges from a year ago
Profile picture for Sergio Hernandez
Latest reply by Sergio Hernandez
February 20 2012 | 1 answers

1. 4522 Scenic Cir, Garland, TX Home For Sale
    4522 Scenic Cir, Garland, TX 75043

2. 1615 Life Ave, Dallas, TX Home For Sale
    1615 Life Ave, Dallas, TX 75212

3. 7266 Lupton Cir, Dallas, TX Home For Sale
    7266 Lupton Cir, Dallas, TX 75225

For Sale: $1,649,000