Zillow vs. Trulia - Homeowners, homebuyers and Realtors, which do you use more and why?

Is there a clear winner between the two?
  • February 26 2011 - US
  • 3

Regrefully Zillow has gone down hill from my perspective.  The problem?  Each lead goes to three people!!!   One person got mad at me "for giving other agents his number"

I would love to know if Trulia also makes this mistake.  I am actively looking

Yay, Livingston!
Btw, in the Boston area, probably the stiffest competition for Zillow.com or Trulia.com is Redfin.com. Redfin is very consumer focused but their model does not have room for selling space in their markets to agents. They have a model where they try to have the consumer use their "salaried" agents. I think they should get rid of that approach and open up their system like Zillow .. they'd make more money. The Redfin iOS app is something I hear rave reviews from clients. I have no vested interest in Redfin, but if you are in Boston or markets where they operate, they are well known.

Hey Zillow, you should buy out Redfin!!!

Well, nice try user........

and by the way, if you're going to dredge up an old question to  try and promote yourself, or your company - at least know the difference between "our" and "are"!

And the winner is.. [Promotion and website removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]

Check out are website today!

Profile picture for David Weylie

I use Zillow far more than Trulia.  I do pay for a zip code and to be a premier agent with Zillow but I have received far more leads being a non premier agent on Trulia.  I guess there is your answer and I will be looking into buying advertising on Trulia for my next round unless I get more leads from Zillow.  Time will tell.

I use Trulia far more than I use zillow.  There are a multitude of reasons why.  First and foremost when my customer's are referencing sites 9 times out of 10 I hear "I saw....on Trulia."  
I think Trulia is more user friendly and just slightly easier to navigate thru.  Although Zillow is jammed pack with information.  I think that is part of the pproblem. They say sometimes too much of a good thing is a bad thing.  Zillow can put you into information overload all at once.  It is not as easy on the eyes. 
That's not to say that I don't use Zillow because I do have a proflie on here, and have decided that I need to put some more time and effort into it. 
I guess the bottom line is Zillow is the perfect site for the more tech savy, number crunching type of person.  Where as Trulia is more listings, questions and answers. 

I use Zillow much more. Many of my clients have referenced the site, thus influencing me to recently become a premier agent. After a little research and exploring, I believe this site offers benefits to buyers, sellers, and agents.   

I use Zillow for my mobile real estate searches. The information is timely and detailed. I love the mapping and street view functions. It's a great research tool when I'm on the road.

Profile picture for Dunes....
Still using Zillow more...oh wait I can't use Trulia

Nevermind!

Gregory, "I feel like questions on Trulia receive more specific answers."

I can not agree. If you look at a majority of replies they say call me, use a realtor, prices have never been better, in short buy now and use me.

A ton of replies there never even address the real question asked. As a result of that and other issues I gave up on that site.

Profile picture for Gregory Masi
Both sites have pros and cons.  In my opinion, the advice forum is more casual on Zillow than on Trulia.  For whatever reason, I feel like questions on Trulia receive more specific answers.  In terms of what my clients use, I can't tell you how often I hear buyers say 'Well, Zillow priced this house at....'  The Zillow prices are often WAY off the mark.  Nonetheless, there are some useful stats and tools on this site. 

Im a fan of Zillow. I dont have too much experience with Trulia. Judging by the comments here I made the right choice.

There is not clear winner. But from a Realtor perspective, I prefer Trulia for the ability to post blogs. I prefer Zillow for your ability to post client reviews and videos easily. It is a toss up.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
one of the key things to consider is who has the best MOBILE apps.
this is a long thread so maybe I've already said this, but so many customers seem to be looking at homes from their phone and searching in neighborhoods as they drive around, so they are going to pick someone to call from the info they see on the app on their mobile device.

do a little comparing of the mobile versions and ask yourself which would be more useful to you as a consumer.

I think that each site offers something different. Zillow does seem to get more webtraffic than Trulia here.

I think that buyers and sellers rely on Zillow a bit too much for data.  It is not always our reality as far as statistics.  I hate having to tell a potential client that their home can not sell for a certain price even though Zillow said it could and would.  It makes my job harder, but I have accepted Zillow as part of the buyer/seller agenda.  Now I have started using it promote my listings, because it is important to me to get my sellers homes in front of as many potential buyers as possible.  Trulia is being pushed heavily through my company but I feel that Zillow is more user friendly and Trulia does not seem to have as many visitors as Zillow.  In my opinion!!! :)

Profile picture for jenly
I am a prospective home buyer and I really love zillow.  I think it has performed an incredible service for buyers like myself with the zestimate.  Yes, I know it is flawed and has warts, etc., but it gives buyers like myself the confidence to challenge the listing price from the outset.

I like to read them all, they all have such different points of view

I use both, but I feel that Zillow's Zestimate feature has allowed them to gain a lot of visitors. Trulia is newer but has better graphics and UI. 

I prefer Zillow and really like the Redfin web site. Many of my buyers use a combination of Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, and a few use Ziprealty or perhaps Realtor.com

I really like Menudo Bongo's answer to the question. :-)

Profile picture for Menudo Bongo
I use both.

Connie - I am also annoyed that trulia allows old comments to be deleted by the original poster.  I know so many agents, who continue to harp the 'great time to buy mantra' - and also did so during 2006-2008, but have conveniently deleted their comments from trulia, now that it would make them look like fools.

I have noticed that agents are using another mantra a lot these days - 'nobody has a crystal ball' - which is code for 'prices are probably going to go down - but I won't say that, as I would lose a potential sale and commission'.

I had trulia's moderators shut me up once, for calling an agent stupid, cos her comments were stupid.

I find the zillow community a lot more balanced - trulia's policy seems biased towards real estate agents.

Kyle, 
you made my night.

Profile picture for jamieson79
I have been tracking my numbers as well, zillow routinely out performs trulia with not only the number of leads I receive but the quality.  I close my zillow leads almost 24% more of the time then I close my trulia leads.

Al McCaw, WOW, that is awesome.  Thanks for sharing those numbers, it's nice to see when it's broken down like that.  Thank you.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
I'm probably not understanding it 
and ...I'm tired.
both sites are pretty good.  one bad apple shouldn't ruin the site.

Connie - first of all, I think you're confusing "comments" on theads with how the VIP is achieved and totalled.
There are more ways than answering questions to obtain points needed for VIP levels.
Initlaly, you need thousands of points, from a variety of sources before obtaining the first VIP level.
Then you need a much smaller amount to maintain the level, or increase to a higher level.

Also, I highly doubt anyone posts responses on trulia with the intent of deleting them! Why would anyone do that?

I have, at times, removed a response after going back,  and deciding  other posts clarified something...or the OP clarified their position. But the number of responses I , or anyone deletes, certainly doesn't affect the overall count for VIP point tallies.

I am really not following, or understanding  your critique, and I think you are not fully understanding the vip program.

Maybe you should review how the  program works....please understand, ..I am not defending it, just trying to explain  it.

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
something specific that is concerning about Trulia is that agents can post and then delete it and their contributions are still counted so they show up as a VIP yet you can only read 10 or so of their comments.  Still looking for why this might be a good thing.- no luck yet.  otherwise, both sites are pretty good.

I find Zillow better. For me, Zillow has a complete package of the tools I need.

Profile picture for Dunes....
Perhaps the amount of views this Discussion is getting says something?

Around 40 per post...It's my opinion Zillow has far far more real Consumers Browsing and reading than Trulia (Which IMO explains the Leads difference)...A lot of Consumers don't see the need to post a Question because the Question/Topic probably already has been posted that day,,,So they Browse.

Combined with the Listings/Zestimates/Local Info ect. and the FACT that Zillow ACTUALLY listens and RESPONDS PUBLICLY in this Forum to concerns/questions ranging from Listing problems for Agents, Zestimate challenges or Questions or even Billing problems (I'm the only one they never listen or respond to but that's understandable;)

Add the Vast diversity of members/Opinions and the OPEN Debate in this Forum and it all looks very good to a Consumer IMHO (Especially the not listening to me part)
Questions/Discussions usually get ALL Perspectives included which allows the Consumer the ability to feel THEY are getting Information to Digest instead of SPAM...

I think this is the Consumer Site while the others are more Agent sites
(Agents blah blah, dissenting views not welcomed, would ya like a slice of Spam)

I will post my 479,352 word post on what Zillow should do to be better later but I'm working on my 948,798,573,527,495 word post on what Trulia should do to be better......

I know this was mentioned here but I wanted to reinforce the training and technology support we provide for members at ZillowAcademy.com. 

The classes, free webinars and calls include Zillow Tools, mobile apps and devices, widgets, ratings and reviews, Social media, RE Video, Building blogs and a ton more. 

There is a great deal of support for Premier Agents looking for ways to maximize their efforts and time on Zillow and out on the Social super highway.  Hope to see many of you there at some point in the near future.
ZillowAcademy.com

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5