anxiously waiting on a preapproval for new construction home

In Oct 2010, I lost twin boys.  After, I would not go back to our house, so my husband did a short sale.  It sold 11/2011.  Since we have not hit the 3 yr anniversary, we are not allowed to get an FHA. But we were able to get a preapproval for a home that qualifies for USDA lending.  Well, we found a model we like, and decided to go with the builder's lender instead of the one we got the preapproval with because we get added perks (ie closing costs etc).  We submitted everything (which was A LOT) last Fri.  We basically had to write a hard ship letter explaining the reason why we short saled and are asking for them to allow us to buy before our 3 yrs is up.  Has anyone been through this before?  Does it sound promising?  I hate the wait!!! I know that death of a spouse or child is at the top of their list for exemptions, but I'm still nervous. Any input is appreciated.

February 19 - New Smyrna