any agents think it a crime that Zillow now charges us to post our own listing?

any listing agent find it a crime that Zillow now charges us to post our own listings, and the ones that do show up on our profile have a ask me a question to a Coldwell Banker agent? I won't do business with Zillow anymore with this type of tratment...they are getting payment from Coldwell Banker at all of our expences...
  • January 26 2010 - Long Beach
  • 0

Actually Zillow doesn't  charge to have our listings posted. All listings are auto fed onto zillow with the listing agents name posted. In 2008 I was able to post several listings that weren't mine (with permission from the listing agent who was my partner) for free!

I whined about the ten bucks on another post recently, but if you really think about it, the ten bucks is nothing compared to the results. I had 2 closed deals in 2009 from zillow leads with paying a penny to zillow.

So, I guess my answer is no, I don't think it's a crime, it's just a small price to pay to get noticed.

Really, I guess all we really want.

To be clear, the charge only applies when someone manually enters a listing to the site.  And if they do this, the listing is Featured - meaning that it shows up at the top of search results to get more traffic.  So if someone chooses to pay the $9.95 for 180 - they actually get additional advertising value. 

However, a large majority of the listings (including yours) come to us via a feed - and this remains totally free.  Your listings publish to the site via ListHub and you will receive your contacts from them. 

If the listing isn't marked as being for sale on the site, we do have some brokers that are paying to have their brand there.  However, if the listing agent gives us the property information, that goes away and the listing agent gets top billing.

Charging to post your own listing, that is fine, allowing others to advertise your listing... Now that is wrong! Especially Foreclosure.com and that Land something. I logged on and this service called Landsomething had my info but then had their name and below it as the listing website site was their logo. When you go to the site, it has my name and comparables 30 to 40 miles away.

That other service was co-branding me with them without my permission and advertising my listing with horrible comps, like $50K off!

Now, since they are co-branding me with them, and then they get stupid and false advertise, is that going to bring me into the mix?

I miss the old Zillow where we use to be here to assist the buyers and sellers in need. It is the agents that got them to where they are today.

I don't buy the argument that the fee is designed to keep agents from providing inaccurate information. 

Last week I was at Inman in NY and Spencer indicated that is the logic behind the change and that only 1% of all agents post their listings individually.  I personally feel that individual branding is key to differentiating an agent in the marketplace.