are corner lots still more valuable?

• May 31 2012 - Montgomery
  • 0

Profile picture for blue screen exile
At least it is not an "intersection", and at least the cars are turning in a way that it is more likely to go into the house across the street instead of that corner... but it is not possible to determine the amount of traffic or noise from those photos, and it is not clear why an orchard should have such a big building with so many trucks, and it is still possible to have tire squealing and acceleration noise as cars go around the corner, and if they "swerve" for one reason or another they still can go through the fence or front yard.

And that neighbor's motor home parked next to that fence regularly can be noise and other issues.  And I still don't like 6 ft fences at the sidewalk, even if that is supposed to be the "back yard", when it is really "the side yard" right at the street.

Worth more that the same size lot and same size house without the corner lot "issues"?  I doubt it.

Profile picture for jihaes
If it's a coner lot like this house isnt it preferable for a family with younger kids? 
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/83-E-1820-S-Orem-UT-84058/11909073_zpid/ 

i know it never is as safe as culde sac but corner lot with a huge house with orchard on the other side isnt so bad is it?

Profile picture for blue screen exile
be able ---> be *about*

(too long to edit).

Profile picture for blue screen exile
"If anything, it is the other way around; they tend to be worth less due to "privacy" issues and "traffic/noise" issues."

"Some of these responses are amazingly stupid.  ... There's no extra traffic (car or foot) because the side of the house sits on a road with 4 houses and a cul-de-sac." -

That is the nature of "generalizations", which is why I qualified it with the words "tend to be....".  Most corner lots cannot be at cul-de-sacs, simply because that is not where most of the intersections are "needed".

Side yards larger?  Yes, in some cases.  In many cases the codes demand it.  But that is not at all universal.  In my area, the side yards tend to be able the same on corners and interior lots.

As far as traffic and noise?  What I was referring to is:
1) cars on both streets instead of one
2) cars accelerating and stopping at the intersection
3) car drivers not knowing who has the right of way, and potential collisions, swerving, and fast acceleration to try to avoid problems
4) noise of car tires from taking turns too fast.

I'm not on a corner lot, but I hear the complaints several of my neighbors have about their corner lots fairly regularly.  And I do notice the difference in sound level even just walking 60 ft closer to the intersection.

Yes, I'm a noise sensitivity freak.  But that is me and my choice.

One of my neighbors at one intersection put in large bushes across the entire front due to concerns of headlights at night.  That is not an issue if cars aren't turning, and are never facing your property directly.

One of my neighbors has had cars driven into their front yard fairly frequently, because the driver didn't see the cross traffic, and had to swerve.

As far as privacy?  I was referring to the ability to try to see through side windows in addition to the front windows.  But then, some people trespass down private driveways to do that too.

Does that make me "amazingly stupid"?  Perhaps.

In a residential area no.  In a commercial area yes.  Typically in a residential area no because it can be too busy.  However in commercial yes because the ingress and egress are more acceptable.

Corner lots are a preference. Some people prefer them and other people feel that they would rather have a neighbor instead of a side that faces the street. 

Appraisers don't favor corner vs non. They mainly go on lot size and other property attributes instead. Interior and corner lots each have their positives and negatives so buyers have to decide if they are willing to pay extra for that specific house/lot.

Some of these responses are amazingly stupid.

The last two homes I purchased were corner lots. There's no extra traffic (car or foot) because the side of the house sits on a road with 4 houses and a cul-de-sac. No one's crossing the corner; no lights are shining in anyone's windows.

As far as "norwegianmama"'s idiotic statement that corner lots "have small back yards and lack privacy," my back yard is just as large as my neighbors' but I also have the side yard that they don't. I've got one neighbor on the side and one in back; how that translates to a lack of privacy is beyond me.

Profile picture for Russell Bigelow
Corner lots are not more valuable, but I have no problems with people crossing over the corner.  A 3 foot privet stops anyone from going on the property.  Unlike Dan, I do not need to worry about headlights shining on me with a second story bedroom.

Corner lots give me a feeling of more open space and only two neighbors instead of three.

The only con that I have found so far is that corner lots may also have a different zoning laws as I have found out in my town.  Any renovations have two visits to the zoning board.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
I've never known residential corner lots to be worth more than equivalent nearby residential lots.  If anything, it is the other way around; they tend to be worth less due to "privacy" issues and "traffic/noise" issues.

Zillow Zestimates look at last purchased price adjusted for sold date to take those kinds of factors into account.

A quick scan of the map of estimates for several areas seems to indicate no difference in value between a corner and adjacent properties.  But it would take a systematic study to determine if there was actually any difference and to try to quantify it.  Perhaps it would be something Stan Humpries would want to take up?

Profile picture for norwegianmama
Absolutely not.  Corner lots have small back yards and lack privacy!

It really depends on the area and type of property. In the downtown Huntington Beach area where I do some work there are tall skinny homes with virtually no space separating the homes (25x100 foot lots), hence corner lots are preferred more often than not for multiple reasons (sun exposure, privacy etc.)

While this may be true, some properties may be on less desirable corners that have the wrong orientation to the sun, or a stop light near by, causing more traffic noise.

Kvny, do not forget that a commercial enterprise has very different requirements compared to residential buyers. A business wants to be on the busiest street possible so they can get more traffic. A homeowner wants a street with much less traffic for quiet, comfort, and the ability to get out of their driveway easier. IHOP is not a residential customer.

I would not like a corner lot. Having headlights shining in my room as I am trying to sleep whenever cars take the corner is not something I would enjoy on a normal night trying to sleep.

Residential property?   Some people love corner lots, some hate them.  In my area there is no $$ advantage to a corner lot.   

I'm in the negative category - corner lots have traffic on two sides, walkers cutting across the corner of the property (and sometimes cars), the public sees two sides of the property and the private portion of the yard is much smaller.

Those who like them prefer the car traffic on two sides to having neighbors.  

I would say so.  A new IHOP in NYC just opened on a corner lot an article came out today saying they picked it so they could have multiple entrances.