Profile picture for NicholasPratt

bad credit but big down payment

I have bad credit . around a 580 . If i found a house for say $60,000 and put a 50 % down payment . Do you think I would get approved ?   More lack of then bad . 

January 11 2013 - Vienna Township

FHA does not have a minimum required score, the requirements are set by the banks... If you would like to see if my company can get you approved please visit my site www.thelendersnetwork.com

Talk to someone who knows what they are talking about, and can give you a game plan to get your scores up quickly if needed. I can help you out, if it is a few minor credit issues or refer you to a firm if it's pretty bad. I do have a Bank I work with that can do a 580 loan with as low as 3.5%-5% down, if you meet other requirements. [removed by moderator]

Randy Roberts
[Website removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

If it truly is a lack of credit keeping it that low, then the easiest thing to do is get some positive trade lines opened and sit back and watch your scores climb. You can get a one or two secured credit cards and use them a bit, but keep the utilization down to 10 to 15%. You can also go to a bank and do a CD, then borrow against it. I did this and our scores rose over 100 points in a few months. 

If you have any negative unpaid accounts, you might consider asking them to remove the information from your files in exchange for payment. It is often referred to as a PAID FOR DELETION. The best place to get specific answers and advice is www.myfico.com. 

You may well find that there are mortgage brokers that can get you approved right now, or very soon. You won't know until you apply

Why not take part of that big down payment and settle the accounts that are keeping your scores low.  I assume you have collection accounts?  Do you have any positive open credit?

You're not stuck with a low credit score, there are steps you can take for an improvement, which happens faster than you'd think.

Contact me through my profile on Zillow if you need more info.

I troubleshoot credit reports and negative credit for a living.

Hi Nick,
I have not seen FHA financing below 600 in sometime but i know it does exist. You could also look at a "hard money" type loan with that kind of down payment. The terms are not as attractive having higher fees and rates but if all else fails with the FHA loan you do have a back up option.
Best of luck!

Yes there are many FHA programs that go down to 580+.  We also have some programs that can go down to 500+ scores.