can I put my house for sale on zillow (by owner?)

• July 02 2013 - Medina
  • 0

Profile picture for hpvanc
Simple question the answer is yes the link tells you how.

The Realtors® seem to be confused by your question, since there is no straight forward way to answer you and simultaneously make a sales pitch. As long as unasked for information is being pitched here are links to academic studies refuting the NAR pitch/study on agents netting sellers more money.

Northwestern University: "The Relative Performance of Real Estate Marketing Platforms: MLS versus FSBOMadison.com"

Stanford University: "How Much Value do Real Estate Brokers Add?"

Profile picture for Dunes ..
CJ:

I did not describe anyone..
I linked to what a Realtor wrote/article from About.com and quoted from that article

I'd be glad to contact the Realtor who did say/write those things, who does post here at Zillow and ask her to share her opinion if you find fault with what was described by her & quoted by me

The company I keep comment did make me smile though, thanks for that ;)

DUNES:  I did send you a private message as well.  I have met over 10,000 REALTORS nationwide as a Broker and a trainer.  Many of them are exactly as you describe which is why I offered to recommend someone I knew personally.  There are bad REALTORS, as there are bad COPS, bad DOCTORS, bad LAWYERS, bad POLITICANS, and as we now all see bad crooks in every profession.  When we can get a recommendation from someone personally rather than roll the dices and get one of the 80% you commented on we do much better in our selection.  I was giving advice for FREE was no looking for a referral fee or anything else.  Don't judge me by the company you keep,  This is my last comment on the subject. 

Profile picture for Dunes ..
@ CJ Johnson Agent

You sent me this email thru Zillow

" It was my intention to offer a safety tip nothing more. REALTORs do get referral fees for recommending other GOOD HONEST REALTORS."

So here's your opportunity to explain how an Agent in Texas can refer a GOOD HONEST AGENT to this poster located in New York..

What do you get paid for this referral to a GOOD HONEST AGENT?

How do you know they are a GOOD HONEST AGENT?

Here's your forum/place to explain to consumers about what you get for referring (where the money comes from and how much), how you find/locate these GOOD HONEST AGENTS

Was there something inaccurate or untrue in the article I linked to written by a Realtor about referrals?
Who says in the article..

"Some see this practice as perfectly acceptable. But most agents find it a bit despicable."

"Ideally, it would be nice if the agent that is referred to you is referred because that agent is an experienced agent, qualified and has a track record known to the agent who is referring. But much of the time the agent that is referred is a complete stranger. The referring agent may have no idea whether that agent is competent or incompetent."

"Real estate is a business in which about 80% of the agents do not make enough money to live on. The odds that you will end up with an agent in a major metropolitan area who has little experience and who doesn't make any money are actually pretty high. It's even higher when it's a referral agent."

The Realtor who wrote the article btw posts here at Zillow and I sure she would be willing to defend/stand behind/explain what she wrote

Educate me...

Profile picture for Keith Nelson
It's quite easy to post the property in Zillow. You can do a direct listing or you can do it with a "Make Me Move" option. Now before you do that you should make sure you have lined up all of your Team Players that will be involved in helping complete a transaction, Your title company, your Escrow company, a trusted loan officer and most importantly- Your Real Estate Attorney- In Washington State it is actually illegal for a real estate licensee to simply do the paperwork for you after you find a buyer. This is considered the unauthorized practice of law, so if you want to go it alone- hire an Attorney if you only need paperwork done, at least in Washington State. Now, yes there are lots of buyers out there, especially in your area, but the vast majority of these buyers don't know the home buying process! That's where you need to be prepared. Everyone thinks it's easy to sell a property but I can assure you that after 35+ years and having worked and overseen thousands of transactions, finding the buyer is usually the easy part. Just be sure you get organized for the entire process before you submit your property to the marketplace. Best of luck. 

Profile picture for Dunes ..
FSBO on Zillow
For Sale by Owner ... Zillow/Yahoo
Process to use here on this Site

or another option

Postlets..owned/operated by Zillow
Zillow/Yahoo and other RE Sites list of syndication partners

It is often difficult to know the "true" motives of  a person...even if that person is a REALTOR ;)

Please be aware that many Realtors pay each other for Referrals..their
"true" motive is not to do you a favor
Agents Refer Agents - When Real Estate Agents Refer Agents
(Written by a REALTOR:)

Good Luck

Of course you can.  It is actually quite easy. Depending on where you live you should be very careful though.  When potential buyers are not screened by a REALTOR you never know who you are letting in to your home or what their "true" motives are. If you want a recommendation shoot me an email and I will put in touch with a pro in your area. [Contact information removed by Zillow moderator]