Profile picture for shauna03

can a land lord not allow you to walk on your grass

my land lord is going to tape off my yard because he is having it treated 4 times in a year and he is not going to allow my kids to play outside and we are not allowed to even walk on our grass is that allowed to happed
  • April 30 2011 - Evansville
  • 0

Have you read the links?  Perhaps there is a hotline where you can call for assistance on Monday.  Most states have them.

Profile picture for shauna03
So what you are telling me is that I still have to pay my rent no matter what, also that I have to do what he says because if I don't he can kick me out of my house. I just don't see how any of this is fair to renter's.

You can pull up  Illinois Landlord/Tenant information  here.

I would recommend not withholding rent, due to this section "2) Withhold rent: Similarly, under Illinois law, you have no right to withhold or refuse to pay rent no matter how bad a place is or what the landlord does or fails to do (like return asecurity deposit.)"

Profile picture for shauna03
I am try to figure out what to do soon because my rent is do on Monday.

Your husband should not feel obligated to help the landlord fix the roof. Review your lease. There should be a section where there are items each party is responsible for. I'm pretty certain the landlord is responsible for the roof in almost all cases. The landlord should NOT want the tenant to go anywhere near the roof for liability reasons.

Sounds like you have a jerk for a landlord. Your kids need a yard to play in. I feel bad for you. Be friendly with the landlord and explain that your children need a yard to play in and the yard is one of the reasons why you signed a lease. If he continues with his plans of taping off the yard I would talk to an attorney.

Profile picture for shauna03
We haven't had any problem about the yard I started having Problems when my husband wouldn'thelp him fix our roof because it had bee licking for months. My husband also didn't want to help him out because his mother had passed away l5 days befor that. He fix my roof on April 2nd & my mother in law passed away on March 18

This is an interesting question. I cannot fathom it being legal to prohibit you and your family from using the lawn. Even more I cannot imagine how your landlord could be that much of a heartless jerk. Something doesn't add up here. Have you and your landlord had some altercations about the yard where he or she has accused you and your family of causing damage to the yard?  There has to be more to this than we're hearing. At least I hope there is more.

I don't work in rentals so I'm going to sit back and wait to hear from some of the Realtors that do work with rentals. I'd like to know the law as it pertains to your situation.

Profile picture for shauna03
He is taping it off for good.

Is he taping it off for a short period, or forever?

Your landlord is allowed to treat the grass, but if he is treating it with something that is toxic to the kids he is doing the right thing to tape it off for the period specified by the manufacture of the poison.