Profile picture for streator1

can a tennent on a month lease refuse to pay lock me out and tell me I have no rights

I found out after I rented to him that he has a crimainal record which he did not disclose, It was for criminal damage to a property he rented

• January 19 2010 - Downers Grove

Call a lawyer asap

I would be a nervous wreck too, but it will be okay. I am sure that your attorney deals with these situation all the time and will be able to get this done for you. My fingers are crossed that the tenant will just move quietly down the road to another property.

Profile picture for streator1
I spoke with an attorney today and I have to give a five day notice
thank you for replying i have beeb a nervous wreck

No they can't. Most rental agreements have a clause that allows you as the landlord to give proper notice to inspect or repair the property. You need to read your rental contract to see what those are. In many states you can serve the tenant with a 3 day quit or pay notice if they are not paying rent. If they still refuse, you need to serve them with the legal notices to vacate for your state and go down the road to legal eviction if necessary. You can try talking to the tenant and telling them that you need for them to move and asking them when they can be out. Offer them money for the moving truck if necessary. It distasteful, but is cheaper than eviction and massive unit damage. 

The faster you get on legal track the faster you can get them out. If you have any reason to believe that there are drugs in your unit, call the police and turn the tenant in for illegal activity. You can talk to and find an attorney in your area on this forum here. I am sorry that you have a bad tenant. Do what you can to get them out peacefully. In the end, it is often less expensive.