Profile picture for kingbear12

can buyers agent have loyalty to buyer when buyer agent work for listagency that list the property?

April 03 2011 - Fayetteville

I disagree with kristisar because I think kingbear12 is referring to a situation where, for example, my client is interested in purchasing a property that is listed by an agent in my same brokerage. I happen to be associated with Better Homes & Gardens/Mason-McDuffie real estate. I work out of an office in Berkeley, CA, but we have something like 375 other BHG/MM agents in our area. It often happens that I am buyer's agent on the purchase of a property listed by one of my colleagues, sometimes even from my office. However, my fiduciary duty is to my client, so it makes no difference that the LA & I share the same broker. In fact, I've noticed some distinct advantages to this situation. I always feel a slightly higher level of cooperation with the LA in these situations. Also, since we tend to know one another a little better than agents out of other brokerages, there's a slightly elevated level of trust. All of this facilitates a smoother transaction!

Thanks for the question.  That would depend on the agent.  I personally believe that I kept transactions together because I was the dual agent where it would have fallen apart had I not been.

Good luck.

Absolutely. All an agent has to do is be honest and give full disclosure.
It is my experience that when I have both sides I can make the transaction occur more smoothly and to the buyer and the sellers advantage..
At some point in the transaction it is not uncommon for me to have both the buyer and seller meret each other. Far less chance of creating an adversarial situation.

Profile picture for kristisar
If I understand your question correctly, what you are talking about is called dual agency. There are many agents who think you cannot properly represent both sides of the transaction, others do it all the time and are comfortable. You should really ask yourself- are you ok with an agent knowing your motivations and qualifications while they also work with the other side of the transaction?