Profile picture for aeisr2

can i charge my 18 year old son rent

I live with my mother and 18 year old son. I pay rent and do repairs as needed and pay for the groceries and gas and the two vehicles and cable and phone. I want to charge my son $200.00  a month rent and she says I am not allowed to??? thier is not contract or verbal agreement between us other then the things above so what recorse do I have? Can i charge him?
  • May 17 2011 - York Township
  • 0

Profile picture for rockinblu
Okay, change the terminology. Don't charge him rent. Have him share in the expenses which includes you paying for a place for the both of you to stay, as well as the other incidentals.

Who owns or is on the lease for the property?   If it is your mother's property (owned or on the lease), then she makes the decision.

If it is your property (i.e. you are the one on the lease), then you can request rent.

You don't  have to pay for your son's gas or groceries.

Right on Rockinblu -

When I got my first job my parents charged me room and board.  I hated it but learned my bills came before my party money.

When my son got his first job I felt sorry for him.  I've been paying for that ever since. 

You might have a better case with your Mom if you charged your son for room and board and banked it for him.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Hey Jaques,

Where does aeiser2 state that her mother is a renter?

Profile picture for Jacquester

You can not just charge rent without an agreement.  Additionally it also is affected by the terms of the lease.  Is your son listed as an additional occupant on the lease?  If not, then you may be able to if the landord allows it in the terms of the lease.  Make sure any agreement you make is in writing.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Grandparent spoiling a kid rotten. What's new? Teaching the young man some responsibility would be a good thing in my books.