Profile picture for 16920annesleygirl

can i purchase a home just in husbands name only?:

married but my credit is better than my wife's can I purchase the home myself?
  • July 27 2012 - US
  • 0

There may be state requirements, but I work in three community property states and even in these states you can purchase a property in a spouses name as a sole and seaperate estate.

Please see if I am in your service area, regardless I am happy to get you pointed in the right direction.

Profile picture for Owens Realty Group

If you are in Texas, then no. In Texas, you can obtain a mortgage in your name only, but here name would still be attached to the title. In the mortgage, even though her name is not on the loan you would still be responsible for any debts she has.

Does this help? Thanks!

I've sold many homes where only the husband or wife is on the contract or loan.  In Oregon it's no problem, and the other party can be added to title after the sale closes. Check with a local lender.

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton

What state are you in? It matters, because if you are in a community property state her debt ratios could come into play.

Great question!

Yes, as long as you individually meet the income and debt to income ratios by yourself.  (If she's not on the loan, then she cannot be considered in any of the income.)