can i rent with poor credit?

August 27 2012 - Encino

almost 1/3 of our new tenants have some kind of foreclsoure/shortsale on their record.we take other factors into consideration other than credit score.1> past rental history: if they have good rental history prior or after the foreclosure etc. that is better to me than a 800 fico score.
2> job stability: a tenant with good long term verifiable income . this shows ability to pay. 3> increased security deposit: usually we require a double security deposit. most tenants know that and usually can come up with the extra deposit. 4> no prior evictions: that is a must. hope this helps.

Yes - but it depends on the poor credit.  Most landlords and rental companies understand that a large percentage of renters have just been through a foreclosure or short sale and expect to see some credit ramifications.  If poor credit is over a longer period of time and is chronic, then it could be more difficult.

Best of luck -

Also, you can offer to pay several months rent in advance.  Some landlords will consider that good security.

It depends on the landlord and how many other offers/applications the landlord may have. I have helped renters in the past that have had to short-sale/foreclose, etc. If you can show good income, that is a plus. Sometimes a letter of hardship explaining your low credit score can also help. And lastly, you can pay more than what they are asking. Good luck!

Profile picture for 16920annesleygirl
To be honest , in my location where i live in ohio.. well foreclosures are every other home on a street, and people are renting more and more.. and well I to ama renter for now.. From my experience. these landlords that are sooo pickey about credit scores are SLUMLORDS! i mean they say they want the best in their homes, i agree, but what about them.. they take your money, dont fix repairs, say they will show up on a certain day and time, and only show up when u give them the rent. SLUMLORDS. and there is alot of renters out there that are deadbeats, dirty and well just trouble, i totally agree, but as for credit score, that doesnt prove anything to me,,. I have been a good tenant everywhere i have rented too and I have paid my rent on time every month, and I have kept their homes clean and well taken care of.. and us renters get treated like  dirt ! and well I will be purchasing a home in spring of 2013.

All landlords are different.  Most will take multiple factors into consideration when deciding and credit score is just one.  If you are upfront with the owners and let them know, that will help.  Best of luck.

Many people today due to alot of foreclosures/short sale, being laid off, or having to file for bankrupcy have bad credit.  That is one of the reasons that the rental market is and has been flourishing.  As the previous person posted, yes, you can rent with bad credit but landlords are going to want some reassurance that you are capable of paying rent, generally pay your bills on time and will be a good tenant.  They will ask for an increase in the security deposit, possibly a higher rent or 3-6 months of rent in advance.  There are some landlords who will specify only those with good credit apply - but I have found that most are understanding if you can explain the circumstances and are willing to put money behind your word.  I live in the Encino area, so if you are looking for rentals I may be able to help.  Just click on my photo for contact info..

You can, but some landlords will ask you for a cosigner, a larger deposit or some additional information before they agree to rent to you if your credit is bad.