Profile picture for gregmero

can telling Zillow about remodel info cause my property taxes to go up?

• November 06 2009 - Darien
  • 0

LOL, ok, I laugh not at the question but at the situation. 
Because I know you are not the only one with a similar question
It seems that they want to add the remodel info because they may not be happy with a zestimate (I am not sure but, If I were a betting man I would state you want it to show higher too, probably so the neighbors could admire your zestimate lol) So they enter new information in the hopes of a new estimate showing higher. But, dont want to go to have the home reassessed to correctly have the value adjusted.

reality of the situation. Depending on where you live, If you had certain work done without the correct permits (which ultimately cause a reassassment for taxes) despite the fact that it was meant to increase value the lack of those permits could cause the value to decrease.

I deal with the Downers Grove tax assesor's office quite a bit on behalf of clients whose appeals I handle and you can be sure that this will not happen.  A tax reassessment might be triggered if a permit is issued for remodeling (e.g. finishing a basement) and the tax assessor closes the loop with the building department.  A change in the assessment could also occur during the next assessment cycle.  The DG tax assessor's office has specific methods for valuation and the change would need to affect the values used in the formulas.

Profile picture for nwhome.us
Zillow is of little or no interest to county assessors.
The fact that Zillow allows you to alter their database (information about your home) firmly establishes the understanding that the information is unreliable for specific properties.
What if someone chose to eliminate a bedroom or two from their profile? 
Why not?