Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

cats cats cats

Anyone know of a good cat deterrent? The neighbors have lots of cats they let run loose. How do you keep them out of your yard short of antifreeze? (jk)

speaking of cats:

There are 7 girls on a bus.
Each girl has 7 backpacks.
In each backpack, there are 7 big cats.
For every big cat there are 7 little cats.

Question: How many legs are there in the bus?

Thanks for your help! (I know the math answer!!)

November 02 2007 - US

Profile picture for robin398
You could use a water gun but I wouldn't let the cat see you because then he would associate the water with you. If you hide and use the gun then the cat will think it is coming from the home or yard and will stay away.

Profile picture for CJLozano
The best cat deterrent is a dog. It doesn't have to be a big one, just an active dog like a mini terrier or chihuahua.

Profile picture for House_Hopeful
70 legs. But you didn't tell me if there was a bus driver? If so, make that 72.

Profile picture for House_Hopeful
Hmm, or it could be just 42 legs. Because in each backpack is a big cat. But I don't know if the little cats are in the backpack. They could be outside the bus for all I know.

I love these riddles! So, what's the answer??

I heard that coffee grounds in the garden will deter cats from "going" there. I haven't tried it personally but then again I have a dog :)

Starbucks will give you the used grounds for free they are usually in large baskets inside the stores.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr
We want to get a dog. But we have to put up a fence first. I might try coffee grounds for now.

mary- each big cat has 7 little cats (also in the backpacks) LOL

and no there is no bus driver.

Each girl has 392 cats. (7 big cats and 49 little cats in each bag)
2744 cats for 7 girls.
2744 cats x 4 legs = 10976 cats legs
7 girls x 2 legs = 14 girl legs
10976 cat legs + 14 girl legs = 10990 legs :)

I got that in an email and the answer was the password to open an excel spreadsheet where you add your name and forward the email.
Then security wanted to know why someone had sent a password protected file to 15 people all over. haha so we can't do that anymore. It was fun though. Better than work!

better late,

a fence with a fine link too small for a cat or kitten so squeeze through is generally your best answer. Over time once you move in the cats will leave if they do not find hospitality in your yard any more.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr
There is a lot of stuff we have to do before we can get a fence. Unfortunately.

I used chicken wire with stakes because at the time I had small dogs and did not want to do the whole permit thing for a big fence; I buried the chicken wire in a hedge so you can't see it and it was very cheap.

Profile picture for Blanco Basura
I have used the cocoa shell mulch it seems to deter them a bit. Also if I plant onions around the garden it helps as well. I plant in raised beds so they love the soft soil to use for pooping. One idea I haven't tried yet is to make a special litter box for them at the edge of the garden but then there is the problem of emptying it. I like cats for petting occasionally and for chasing rats, mice and gophers but I hate their pooping in my garden. I really hate stepping in it when I am walking around my raised beds. Fencing them out is the only sure thing.

[IMG]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/username555_01/sunflowers/red.jpg[/IMG]

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr
I'm so ready for a big fence!! I want a privacy fence on the back side of the house to keep from having to look at the icky neighbors. Plus hopefully it will keep their old hoopty car from waking me up when they fire it up for a drug run in the middle of the night!! SORRY I'M a little cranky tonight...someone kept me up all night, running in and out and in and out in that junky old car!! haha if I had known before we moved in, we may not have moved in! Cats, cockroaches, and crackheads. what next?! haha

Profile picture for Alan May
if you put mothballs (or the crushed version) throughout the garden, it will keep cats out for quite a while... you'll have to refresh it a few times a year, as rain will cause it do melt..

it can also do some damage to sensitive plants, and you don't want to put any near any edible plantings...

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr
mothballs work wonders for lots of things

I've never tried this, but I've always wanted to see the Scarecrow Sprinkler in action. You can find it on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Electronics-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated-CRO101/dp/B000071NUS) and the reviews seem almost unanimously favorable. It's safe, uses no harmful chemicals, and I imagine it makes for some good entertainment!

Buses don't have legs...they have wheels!

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr
cute but that is why i said how many legs are there 'in' the bus?

Profile picture for jfinchhowell
motion-detector watering system worked for a friend of mine, so maybe like the Scarecrow Sprinkler mentioned above.

My solution to any problem is a 50+- pound Pit Bull. My Pit enjoys chasing the cats from the open areas right up to the fence. Its almost entertaining! Pits are also good for keeping a lot of "things" from the yard. By the way, they are great, loyal dogs contrary to the media's portrayal. As far as the riddle goes, are the big cats on the bus?

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr
every cat that i spoke of was on the box...the answer is up there somewhere.

Pits and Rotts are my favorite breeds of dogs, but a dog is not an option til we get our fence built. and that probably won't happen til we can repour concrete for the carport. :(

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr
on the bus not box....sorry HAHA

Profile picture for ikwya
Fox urine.

It's a natural predator and is sold at feed stores or on the internet.

There is a battery-powered device which includes a motion sensor, and emits noises and flashing lights when the beam is broken. It will scare off the cats, but leave your garden "green". You can find it under "cat deterrents" on Google; one model is made by Weitek.

see I wouldnt have included the little cats because they are not specified if they are in the packs or even on the bus.

and as for hot get rid of them 2 options a large dog that hates cats or as they come in your yard ... take them and drop them off at the pound!

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr
fox urine...interesting.

I don't want to touch them, they'd probably claw the heck out of me. cats generally don't like me, probably because they can tell i don't like them.

and the cats on a bus thing- it was more of a math question than a riddle. there was no trick. :)
sorry to throw you off.

cats suck

I hate gardening and getting a handful of cat crap. Dirty animals. I have tried everything to keep them out. I used to have a problem with them peeing on/in my horses hay as well as having them in the yard using my garden as their litter box. I dont understand why people think its okay to let their cats run loose but god forbid you let a dog. (not that I would do this) If you find something that works please let us all know.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr
Not that I would do that either Carrie. Dogs running loose can cause a lot more damage on a kid than a cat...but cats still totally suck! I think that some of these cats that run around maybe don't have a home. A stray had a litter of strays had a litter of more strays and they just kinda hang out around the neighborhood. At my MIL's house, the strays come up on her porch and spray her porch chairs and stuff and they STINK!! One time I left my windows down while I was visiting a friend and when I got in my car and started to drive off this huge stray cat LEAPED from the back of the car right into my lap! I almost wrecked in the ditch LOL! I didn't know it was in my car and almost scared the pee outta me haha!

Speaking of stray dogs though, the neighbor lets his dog run loose and it was in our yard last night so we gave it some breakfast sausage. I told my bf not to do it because it'll just keep coming back but he did it anyway. I don't mind dogs unless they're mean and this one just wanted to play. I used to call the dogcatcher on them but I couldn't, this one was sweet and lonely. :(

Well...a mean stray dog can do damage to a kid but so can a mean stray cat. Cats are far more likelt to be allowed to run loose. It really pisses me off. Let me tell you I did not take it too kndly when I had $500 loads of hay ruined by nasty cats. Cats also carry toxoplasmosis which can cause a fetus to have major medical issues. Pregnant woman who have not had a lot of exposure to cats are most at risk as they most likely have never been exposed before. You should were gloves when you garden if this pertains to you. There was also an article regarding pet cat waste in CA. The run off is killing seals I believe....the toxoplasmosis in their crap getting into the water.
Good luck getting cat urine out of anything. Even with miracle pet.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr
Gross! Well they don't spray at my house but they do at my mom in laws. She has a nose like a bloodhound too I swear. If we smoke before we go to her house, we'd better shower and put on clothes straight out of the dryer. Or she won't eat breakfast before she goes to church because she thinks it will make her clothes smell like bacon. LOL she always worries about how stuff smells so cat spray drives her crazy.

Your poor MIL. Get her a big dog.

I know people like cats but I just think they are nasty. Anything that poops in a littler box, walks across its excrement and then gets up on your counters and kitchen table with its toxoplasmosis. *shudder*

I love dogs and horses so its not like I am a neat freak or anything...to me having cats is like having a rodent infestation. You cant keep them out of anything and then they piss on it. Just my personal opinion.

Profile picture for Alan May
wow... carrie... you haven't made enough friends on these boards... now you wanna go p!ss off the feline lovers association of armenia!?!

yeeek!

Replacement Windows
Profile picture for DSM39
Latest reply by DSM39
Where is the best place to buy major appliances?
Profile picture for deathsfuture
Latest reply by deathsfuture
Will a finished basement add value.
Profile picture for ZbigniewZawada
Latest reply by ZbigniewZawada
1 day ago | 14 answers
Cesspool vs Septic
Profile picture for ochsnola
Latest reply by ochsnola
August 01 | 9 answers
How do you replace electrical wiring in a home? Costs?
Latest reply by user7705784
June 12 | 21 answers