Profile picture for shenry533

closing after home inspection time line

My house has been inspected, needs a couple of things which I am doing. the buyer is pre-approved. The house was appraised last Thursday.  Buyers need to move in by end of this month, Jan. 2014.  How long does it take for a closing to be scheduled.it still hasn't been scheduled.    Asked my agent, he doesn't have an answer.  He also has my house still listed as active, asked him why, no response.Also, I was giving buyers permission to move in early, now they changed their mind on that.  Makes me think there is something negative I don't know. Would appreciate feedback on this matter.  Thank you so much. 

January 22 - Mount Lebanon

Best Answer
Whoa, whoa, whoa,  wait a minute.  There are all kinds of problems going on here.  When I 1st started reading the post, I thought you were just another FSBO,  But, you have an agent?  That blows me away.  How can you have a binding contract with signatures of both parties without a closing date on it?  This is determined the same time the sales price is agreed on.  You need to run, not walk to the agent's broker/office manager and bring up the closing date issue & that it is still listed as active (which is not a bad thing for you, BTW) & that he is not responding to your communication.  I HOPE you had an addendum allowing them in early.

You need another Realtor ASAP.

Thanks for posting your question on Zillow.com & sorry for your problems.  Good luck.    

January 23
You can always call your agent's broker and ask him or her to help you get things back on course.  Your agent has rules they have to abide by and the broker can help you get things moving in the right direction.

Early possession (moving in early) can bring a whole other set of issues, so it's probably better that they have decided to move in after the close.

Do you have an attorney representing you for your closing?  If so, you should call him or her and ask your questions of them about the closing date -if you don't have an attorney, speak with your agent's broker about that. 

It sounds like your agent may need to pay more attention, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult experience!

January 24
Profile picture for shenry533
Brian:  thank you very much.  I had signed the sales agreement but my agent had 'forgotten' to give me a copy.  I have it now.  It doesn't give a specific date but a latest possible date.  Once I asked for that document agent wrote me and said he will have the specific date and location today.  I still need him to get my house off of active listings. If it weren't for this sale, it was my intention to get a new realtor. My reasons would shock you.   New owners decided to not move in early.  Mother nature broke my front picture window and codes have changed since we bought the house I am having a fire door installed between the garage and the main house.  I find that odd since the furnace is downstairs but codes are codes.  Thanks so much for your sage advice.  Whoever has you for their agent or broker is very lucky.

January 24
I hope your closing proceeds as planned!

While it can vary from state to state, typically the closing is about 4-5 weeks from the inspections. This assumes that the buyers did their inspections within 10 days of an accepted offer. This is how things work in Massachusetts and remember that even these types of dates are negotiable between Seller and Buyer. 

Generally, you would want a "use and occupancy" agreement if you are letting your buyers move in prior to the closing. Have a conversation with your agent about the financing commitment and when that is expected. Your note sounds like that may be in flux and is causing delays or the buyer is having reservations based on the inspection.

Good Luck with everything. I know it can be stressful, but good communication avoids wondering and an inability to plan.

January 22
If you received a copy of the Mortgage Commitment letter, that will tell you who you can contact.

If your agent does not know anything, then contact their Broker and ask them.

FYI, until you have Mortgage Commitment nothing can be scheduled and in my experience, a closing can be schedule a week from that.

Jayne Vaughan

January 22
Hi shenry533,

The question on how long it will take to close will be best answered by your buyer's lender.  If you're not getting straight answers from the agents or buyer, figure out who their Loan Officer is and call them up-- you're absolutely allowed to do this. 

Without knowing all of the ins, outs, and whathaveyous, it will be impossible for anyone on this forum to tell you when you can expect to close. 

Hope this helps!

Aaron

January 22