determine age of a home for lead concerns?

determine age of a home for lead concerns?
  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
April 20 2010 - New Braunfels
We think we've answered this question for you!
  • Be a Good Neighbor. Be respectful and on-topic. No spam or self-promotion! See our Good Neighbor Policy.
 
 

Answers (12)

Profile picture for sunnyview
"If you are unsure, get a paint samples off of the wall and get it tested. "

Due to the change in the law, I definitely do NOT recommend getting your paint tested, You are better off assuming that the paint has lead and acting accordingly when you do the repairs than testing and walking into legally required lead mitigation that can be very expensive.

Owners who do not test are also not required to disclose known lead paint to future buyers. Instead the property that is built pre 1978 is assumed to have lead paint, but only the EPA lead disclosure form with "unknown" is checked and certified mitigation is not required.
  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
August 18 2011
Determine the age of the home by doing one of two things.  Either go down to City Hall of your city, into the building department and inquire there or look in your garage.  Usually there is a permit card stapled to the garage wall.  On it, there should be a construction date.
Homes built prior to 1978 can contain lead in the paint.  If you are unsure, get a paint samples off of the wall and get it tested. 
As you know, as of April 22, 2010, contractors working in homes built prior to 1978 must be certified and use lead-safe working practices.  Certified contractors know how to handle the work process, know how to disclose, know how to keep records and most importantly they know how to keep you safe while constructing. 
  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
August 18 2011
If your home was built prior to 1978, the chances are greater it may have lead paint.
1978 - 1972 [25% chance it has lead paint]
1972 - 1960 [50% chance it has lead paint]
1960 - 1950 [75% chance it has lead paint]
1950 -         [95% chance it has lead paint] 5% chance lead paint was removed.
Did not know these percentages until I took the RRP (remodel, repair, paint) Lead Course recently for Colorado, even though having Lead Abatement cert. from EPA back in 2005, percentages were never disclosed. Good Luck~
  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
October 18 2010
Don't eat the paint chips...you can get a lead paint test at Home Depot.
If you have a question, bring in a good painter - strip it down and start from scratch.
Probably not very helpful.
Look at the lead content in toys and jewelry we put on our kids.
Strip it down and start from scratch...
  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
September 09 2010
Profile picture for the_country_hick
What if I found some real cheap paint from 1974 at a yard sale. I used it to paint my shiny new 2010 house?  

Perhaps lead based paint is not only to be found in old houses. There was a lot of it in warehouses back then. I saw one person say to consider it a problem until at least 1981 for that reason.
  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
September 09 2010
If you need to find out the age of the house you can google  it under your county's tax assessment office.  Or do a 'property search, county, state'.
Then type in your address (street name only w/o 'Drive', 'Street' etc.)
Lots of useful information  there - including the age of the house (Residential section).


  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
September 09 2010
If your house is built prior 1978 it has a high risk of lead based paint. If you remodel your home, completely strip it to studs, you still have to disclose to potential buyers that the house was built prior 1978 and might have lead paint. I think if you built a new house on the old foundation, you still have to disclouse.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
June 04 2010
All properties, both residential and commercial are at risk for lead if built prior to 1978.  Before this time, lead was present in paints and stains.
  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
June 03 2010
Check the tax records. Google <city name> tax records. Or <county name> tax records. Should have form for you to search by address. Since I'm assuming you wouldn't have the parcel number if you don't have the age.
  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
May 06 2010
The new EPA laws regarding lead in older homes and the requirements for safety practices during remodeling projects applies to any home built before 1978. You can check with your local NARI office or go online to the EPA website for more information.

Hope that helps.

Mike
  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
May 04 2010
  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
April 20 2010
According to HUD homes that were built before 1978.  Not sure if tt anwers your question.

Naima
  Flag content
Close
Report a Problem

Please enter a valid email address.

Close
Content flagged

We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

Close
We're Sorry
This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.
April 20 2010
 
Related Questions
determine age of a home for lead concerns?
Profile picture for sunnyview
Latest answer by sunnyview
August 18 2011 | 12 answers
Be A Good Neighbor

Zillow Advice depends on each member to keep it a safe, fun, and positive place. If you see abuse, flag it. More on our Good Neighbor Policy.

Homes for Sale
  1. 228 Starling Pass, Spring Branch, TX Home For Sale
    228 Starling Pass, Spring Branch, TX 78070

     For Sale: $135,000

    • Beds: 0
    • Sqft: --
    • Baths: --
    • Lot: 93218
  2. 1643 Mountain Brk, Schertz, TX Home For Sale
    1643 Mountain Brk, Schertz, TX 78154

     For Sale: $195,000

    • Beds: 4
    • Sqft: 2495
    • Baths: 3.0
    • Lot: 6098
  3. 2519 Hourless Oaks, Schertz, TX Home For Sale
    2519 Hourless Oaks, Schertz, TX 78108

     For Sale: $239,900

    • Beds: 3
    • Sqft: 2928
    • Baths: 2.5
    • Lot: 8276