do you carpet the hallway if stairs are not?

I am carpeting two bedrooms on my second floor. The stairs and the first floor is all to be refinished hardwood. I have heard conflicting advice on the upstairs hallway. To carpet or not to carpet?

April 20 - Lower Lawrenceville

Profile picture for BungalowMo
If you will be selling.....

EXCELLENT advice by themorrigan20!

When I bought my place, it needed the electrical upgraded, the metal roof needed a scrape, prime & repaint too.  I got the seller to pay both of these & my closing costs.

I got estimates & chose my contractors.  At closing, the seller had checks for the electrician, the roofer & the closing costs.  All work & any issues afterwards were between myself & the folks I hired.  It's a win/win situation.

Also...one of the key points in my decision to buy were the wonderful 100 yo hardwood floors!  Gorgeous!

April 30
Agree with previous contributors. You may try to visualize your home by reviewing pictures online. It may be overkill but you could try home design apps online to visualize the looks. An example I found online is at http://freshome.com/2010/08/18/10-best-free-online-virtual-room-programs-and-tools/#

April 21
If it is for yourself, I would do what YOU prefer best!  You could put a carpet runner so that you have both hardwood and carpet.  Carpet over the hardwood would continue to protect the stairs, but revealing hardwood is quite popular right now.  Every buyer will have a different preference in the future, so do what you prefer for now!

April 21
Profile picture for themorrigan20
As a buyer, I'd say you can't go wrong with hardwood.  It's not a big deal to lay carpet if that's what I want, but it's a bigger, more drawn-out project to pull up carpeting and refinish the floor if necessary.  I cringe when I see a listing that says "new carpets" because that new carpet is going out to the curb if I buy the house, and as it will be not only undesired, but another big task for me, the seller will not be recouping their investment. 

IMO, it's better in the long run to give a little on price and let the new owners install what they want using the firms they choose, and that's for anything, not just carpet.  Here's why: 

Seller installs new furnace/carpet/roof and it's a dud.  Buyer pounds down seller's door demanding satisfaction (rightly or wrongly).  Seller refers buyer to contractor.  Contractor shrugs and points out that he had a contract with seller, not with buyer, and seller signed off, and contractor's done.  Buyer has no recourse without a lot of hassle and possibly losing anyway. 

Give the buyer proper written disclosure (it protects the seller too!) and let her choose her own furnace/carpet/roof and contractor.  Any disputes are between buyer and contractor, leave out the seller entirely, and buyer has recourse against faulty work/materials.

But if it's for you, then of course do what you prefer!

April 20
If you are selling and the stairs are not nice. Either carpet or refinish.

April 20
If you are going to keep the house, forget what the "experts" say and do exactly what YOU want.  If you are doing work for resale, then hardwood is more desirable for the most part now.

April 20