Profile picture for Mucky1217

effect of solar lease on resale of home in central massachusetts

Due to a recent large rate increase in our electricity, I am exploring the option of getting a solar lease.  However, we will most likely be selling our hoise in the next 5 years (to upgrade to a larger home).  Does anyone have any insight on the buyers perception of solar leasez in central massachusetts? Would it be viewed as a benefit or a hindrance to the sale if someone had to take on a 15yr lease along with the sale of a house.  We have already made many energy efficiency improvements as part of our renovations.  I know there was a study in california, but I am looking for local insight.
  • January 21 2014 - Hubbardston
  • 0

I would not do one if you plan to sell in 5 years. You will not get good payback and buyers may not want to assume the lease which would mean that you would be asked to pay it off before the sale.

In CA and AZ, solar leases are often negatives.  I suspect it would be even more so in MA.  

If you are prepared to buy it out before selling your home, then and only then would I consider it.

Profile picture for JOSE E PEREZ
In my opinion it can be a negative for many buyers.

Profile picture for Julie Joyce
I think of it along the lines if a swimming pool. It will be an attraction to some and a negative to others.