Profile picture for gutweilers5

employment as a home inspector

I am looking into a possible career change.  I am currently an experience contractor, and I am considering changing my career to home inspection. What is the average pay your company pays in this field?

Thank you for your time
  • June 05 2013 - San Clemente
  • 0

Depending on the area the compensation would be more or less.  In my area the average is around $600.00   You would need to become certified/trained and then I would recommend finding an established company to work for until you learn the ropes.  Being a contractor is helpful but not the same as inspecting.

I looked into the field of adding home inspection a few years back.
I did get all the books I felt needed to study with and work got to busy and I had to put it on a back burner...still may do it though.
I did find that in some states there are online classes that you can take at home but at that time some states do not recognize those classes.
In KY there were classes to take in person, set up by an instructor 2 times a year.
That were as mentioned in other posts, classes that gave you the best certifications...need to check before you enroll in class to make sure you're not taken a class that will do you no good for the state you're in.
Here I believe the course ran just under 2K for 5 days book stuff then
you get to go inspect a few (I guess 'mock' houses) homes to be graded.

During the studies of the Home Inspection field it appeared as though there was a basic inspection 350-400 dollars then if you move up with it you can also get credentials ( with the proper added/purchased equipment ) and add it as a upgraded service, to do lead and radon testing.
Along with having the license here also comes the 'dreaded' cont. ed classes we go through as contractors...and the added fees and insurance
costs. I don't think that the contractors insurance would carry over either because of the different field...different liabilities.

That sounds like a great career change for a contractor and I think that many Inspectors are from that field.
Anyway hope that helps a little, I just figured that is a matter of time before
home inspections will required to sell and  buy a home.
Good luck to us both.
-Joseph-

I have been A Home Inspector for 14 yrs now. Certification is one of the Keys   I'm Certified by ASHI, CREIA and ITA. There are other Organizations but none have the credibility of These.

Cliff Sims
All City Inspections Inc.
[deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Get ASHI certified and keep your contractor license up to date, it adds credibility

J.D."Dan" Weisenburger,GRI
Broker-Assoiciate
Realtor®
[Contact information removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]

Profile picture for Michael Mei

Your compensation depends on the sqft homes that you inspect. IN Orange County, CA a 2,000 SQFT homes inspection runs about $400 or so.  The larger the home the more dollars you will be able to charge.  Networking is your key...get involved or be a vendor affiliate of the local Board of Realtors....you can target your services to the agents who might refer you to their clients.

My company pays ZERO to home inspectors. The buyers will pay $300-$375 per house and you need to be accredited and have a nice neat package with details, pictures and suggestions to hand or mail to the buyer that hired you. As a contractor you have the basic stuff needed.

Be sure to get the magic home inspector crystal ball so you too can tell a buyer "The roof won't last much longer" or "the HVAC is about to fail" or "the basement will leak in the near future". A really good inspector can tell the future too.

tim