getting a new realtor or selling the home myself

I am currently 2 months into a 6 month contract to sale my home with a broker and I do not feel that he is doing all he can to sale my home.  I want to go with another realtor broker or sale the home myself  How do I get out of the contract ???
  • October 22 2012 - US

The real question is how many buyers have viewed your home? If the home is priced right the home will sell itself... usually within 10 qualified, buyer views of the home.

If you have had 10 buyer views of your home and no purchase offer, lower your price or ask the agent/broker to cancel the listing. The agent/broker will gladly cancel the listing if you are not realistic in your asking price and you are not willing to lower the price after 2 months.

Make your new broker/agent list the home at the previous list price and see if they will take your listing. If they will not, I would stick with your current broker and lower you asking price to the fair market value.

As Giovanni mentioned, just issue an ultimatum to your current Realtor:  Show me what you have done, are doing and plan on doing to sell my listing with you--or I want a release from this contract.

Harsh words, but some Realtors need to hear them.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and best wishes from So-Cal.

I Believe the best way to handle this is to call up your realtor and be honest with him. Express your frustration and explain that it has been too long and you havent seen any activity or effort in hus part to get your home sold. I do not know however if your property was listed overpriced because then I feel that no realtor would make a difference if that is the case. Make sure first the property is priced correctly according to recent sales in the same area or neighborhood, maybe an appraisal is a good idea to have in case you want to have a professional market value analisis done. Also it is a good idea to talk to the broker and see what can be done as far as canceling the listing if you know the price is right and there is no activity despite of that. Good luck to you and hopefully you get it sold soon.