how are you prospecting fsbo's on zillow

has anyone developed a successful system for prospecting fsbo's found right on zillow
  • October 01 2013 - Newark
  • 0

Profile picture for bjohnson01

It seems to me that if someone puts there number on a website advertising their home, the "do not call list" is out the window...Id like to see that stand up in a court room.

If they are going to ask for solicitation, I can surely call them about what they are advertising and if my profession is the field of their solicitation I can call!

if they put their number out there, then I am free and able to contact them concerning the property they have listed.  Now, If I call them about soap or shampoo or a different product then yes I could understand, but I feel that they are waiving their do not call by presenting their number out to the public asking to sell their home.

I may be way off base, but it seem logical to me.  I don't feel calling works anyway, a smiling face at the door works %70-%90 better everytime. 

I would say don't tell them that you can do a better job. Make yourself valuable and worth the commission check. Time is money, how much is the FSBO property owners time worth? Do things for them they think agents won't do otherwise.  Don't start out by selling yourself right off the bat either, that will lead to a quick dismissal. You can get around the Do Not Call List if you don't solicit their business when you call, offer them something for no charge. Then get invited to their house to deliver this something for no charge. Here is when you can hit them with your pitch, if you feel they would be open to it. Sometimes you have to feed the bird a few time before it trusts you enough to jump on your finger. 

Just my two cents. Hope it helps. 

Okay, that sounds like a really really bad idea.  

First: are you checking to see if these FSBOs are on the "do not call" list?  

Second:  If you are told no, do you think that calling every week will put you in a favorable light?  (Remember "no means no"?)   If it were my FSBO listing, I would both report you to the Feds for violation of the do not call registration (ironic that you posted on Oct 1) and call your broker and the local board to report harassment. Another call for my business without a client in hand and I'd file a police report.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Well, I would have stated that any agent that solicits a FSBO's for representation is intentionally violating the NAR code of ethics, that the agent broker shall not steal clients from an existing listing and listing representation.... and would have over 3000 people for the next 20 years complaining to about 100,000 people in the community how abusive the agent is and how they would suggest that one NEVER  do business with them under any circumstances, and how that distributing false NAR propaganda about FSBO effectiveness and NET would completely discredit the agent to the point where no-one would trust the agent, and how many FSBO's would file official complaints with the local board, and with the State licensing department, and how some may even file small claims lawsuits against the agent for "harassment" and damages caused...

BUT, there is "one way" to market services to FSBO's effectively...
Check to see if it is presently in the MLS, to see if they presently have a "flat fee" arrangement with a broker.  If they do not, send a letter to the owner on good stationary, stating "I see your listing is presently not in the MLS.  If you would like a flat fee brokerage arrangement for just an MLS listing for 6 months, my flat fee would be $450 (or whatever works for you).  I also can provide a Supra electronic lockbox for agent access if that would be a benefit to you.  Attached is my complementary Comparative Market Analysis for your reference and use.  Please feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance at any time."  And then include a detailed comparative market analysis with at least 6 relevant comps, with proper line item adjustments to each.

I plan to follow up on a weekly basis to the fsbo's right here on zillow

Most FSBOs would be delighted if an agent brought a buyer, but are not particularly happy (or worse) when agents contact them that they could do a better job.    How do you propose to do so?