Profile picture for jmnail

how can I find the square footage of a home on zillow?

I work for a general contractor and I am trying to apply for a permit for a home in Plainfield.  I need the square footage of this home, but all I have is the address.  Can you offer any advice as to where I could obtain this information.  Thank you.
  • October 18 2013 - Plainfield
  • 0

I typically will turn to the tax records to find out the square footage of a home and you only need the address to look it up. However it isn't uncommon for the tax records to be inaccurate. So don't rely solely on this information. 

Go to the county assessor's record.  However, be careful... the assessor's records are not always right!  

The most reliable source of measurement is by an appraiser.  Ask the homeowner if they have an old appraisal you can look at to get the sq ft reported on the appraisal.

Sometimes I hire an appraiser to only measure the sq ft of a house.  Usually an appraiser will charge under $100 to do a measurement which will be more reliable than the county assessor's.

Profile picture for SoldByAvery
Hi there,
I could look up what is reported on tax records.  [deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

You may be able to get it from ZIllow (enter the address on the home page and click the blue button), but it would be much safer to go to the public records office for your town or county.     Most such offices have their records on line.