Profile picture for anthonyvitony

how do I find an approximate value of my home without using the tax bill

June 02 2011 - Salem

Anthony, most lenders have access to an AVM (automated valuation model).  This would be a listing of comparable sales based on zip codes and public records.  You can order one here:  http://credittechnologies.com/

Also, Yahoo uses a tool that publishes public records, and will show you homes near yours, some detail about the property and what they may have sold for.  You can find that tool here:  http://homes.yahoo.com/

If you can get an agent to do a CMA that would be the most accurate.  Keep in mind though, towns have budgets they have to maintain.  If every home owner wants their value lowered, the town is forced to increase the rate at which they tax you.  In the end, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  

Good luck.

January 08
Hi Anthony,  As Jim mentioned most agents will help you with a cma...just be upfront with the agent.

Honest Anthony, there are some of us that are willing to help. I get a couple of requests a year and it isn't that big of a deal. Hopefully you will remember that realtor that helped you out when you or a family member decide to sell.

Rather than a full blown CMA, explain to the realtor you are appealing your taxes and ask them to e-mail comparables to you.

Have you checked local listing and sales on Zillow? To do this, click on the Homes icon, enter your address in the box and click GO. A map of your area will appear with your address in the box. Click on your address to get your Zestimate. Go back to the neighborhood map for local listings and sales.

Profile picture for anthonyvitony
Thanks Jim.
I need this info for a tax situation so I hate to put a realtor through that work since I'm not planning on selling my house now.
I was hoping there was an online service that would allow me to easily pull comps to get an approximate value.

Hi Anthony,

You can always ask a local realtor to perform a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) for you. Most realtors will do this for no charge. Just be upfront and explain you are looking for an approximate value.

If you want a more precise value, you can hire an appraiser to do an appraisal.