Profile picture for molly87

how do I go about finding a first time buyers loan?

Me and my boyfriends of 4 years are looking to buy a house. Since his credit is so poor we would need it to be in my name. My credit isn't so hot either. Its a 590. We make about 2750 a month and have no car payments. The tricky part is that out of that 2750 he brings home 2150 of it and like i said we would have to have the house be in my name. Since we are not married yet im not sure how to go about it. Its my understanding that if it in my name they look at what i make and not the both of us but in all actuality it is both so i think this is where we are stuck.Please help.
  • January 17 2012 - Livonia
  • 0

Hi Molly,
You are asking a very good question.  I highly recommend that you call a lender in your local area and get a few minutes with a lender with at least 5 years experience-- share your story as you shared it here, and learn from the lending expert.  The lender will be able to share with you what mortgage options are open to you, explain all about your closing costs, share what you are preapproved for and everything else there is to know about buying a home.  As you know, buying a home is a LARGE dollar amount purchase.  So this is not the time to hurry.  Do your homework and learn as much as you can so that you go into homeownership with your eyes wide open. Good luck! 

If the loan is going to be in your name only your income matters.  Since you don't make enough to buy a house and your boyfriend has the income you both need to work on correcting the issues in your credit.

Good Luck!!

Your credit will have to be brought up at least 20-30 points, which sometimes doesn't take long at all.  If his credit isn't going to be on the loan, his income won't either.  You'll need to fit all of YOUR monthly debt (including the mortgage payment) into around 43% of your monthly income.  So if you make $1000 per month, any debt you have including your mortgage can't exceed $430 per month. 

Definitely talk to a mortgage lender about what exactly needs to be done about your credit in order for both of you to qualify!  Might be easier than you think!

We only count the income of the person(s) that are on the mortgage. Your credit score of 590 is also below our minimum of 640. I would look at improving both of your credit scores, so that you can both be on the mortgage in the future.