Profile picture for benjr

how do i find out what to sell my house for?

• April 18 2011 - Mansfield

I grew up in Foxboro what street are you on.  I loved Mansfield as a kid.  I live on the north shore now.  I am sure I can give you an idea.  The best thing is to have someone come out and take a look at your home.  Then a realtor can do a true cma. 

Don't be afraid to call a local realtor!  Licensed realtors are available to answer numerous questions about your potential plans and assist you along the way.  Typically there is no charge to have someone come out and provide you with a Current Market Analysis.  All too often I meet people who went through transactions on their own and didn't realize the assistance they could have had to save them headaches in the end.  Good luck to you, if you need help finding the right match, let me know!

Go to a local realtor and ask for comps on your house that should help.

I think that Philip Austin's answer is sound, in that an accurate valuation depends on a visual inspection. 

The actual value of a home has many variables: Current neighborhood market conditions, recent listing and sales activity, employment figures, location, age, features, condition of a property, views, and upgrades are some key factors in zeroing in on value.  Pricing properly takes skill, experience, and time.  I price over a 1000 properties a year for investors in San Diego.

I don't think that appraisers are the best estimators of value either.  I'm primarily an investor/realtor and I fight appraiser estimates frequently. Their typically low appraisals can have a nasty impact on the sale of your home though.  So be aware.

For the best estimate of value, find one or two GREAT local agents in the area to give you a current estimate.  They should take into account the homes that have recently sold, the drop in value of your home relative to recent sales (In San Diego the drop is approx 5% this past year), and the key variables mentioned above.  In return, the realtor giving an estimate will want a shot at listing your home. 

Now, without a signed listing agreement, some agents may not want to give you a detailed estimate that could take many hours to compile, but they should be able to give you a ballpark estimate that required visiting a few properties and then providing you with a prelim estimate.  Then, they should also detail for you all the other components of the valuation they will create for you to give an accurate estimate once you hire them.

Thanks for your question Ben Jr.  I would contact a local Realtor, if you would like me to find you a qualified one, just let me know.  I would be happy to help!

Good luck, hope this helps.

Profile picture for PhilipAustin
The best way to find our how much your home is worth today is to request a "CMA" Comparative Market Analysis which is a comprehensive report of homes similar to your currently for sale and those that have sold recently. It is similar to having an appraisal done because ajustments are made comparing your home to other homes that have been on the market recently..

The preparation will take over an hour to analysis the current market and accurately determine how your home compares to others on the market. The Mansfield, Norton and Easton market have had a lot of Buyer activity  recently and homes tend to price well in the upper range of comparable properties because the the competive buyer demand in these towns. 

When I prepare a "CMA" for my home sellers, I usually inspect the home first and ask the homeowner to point out features and qualities of the home. This helps me make the approprate adjustments to the "CMA" to determine the most accurate and best price to market the home at.

Yes - that is exactly what you should do.  I know a few in that area who are great if you would like some recommendations.

Profile picture for Gus Pishue
Benjr,
I suggest talking to a local real estate agent in your area.  They will be able to do a CMA (Comparative Market Analysis) which should give you a very good idea as to the price at which your house should be marketed.  Good Luck.