Profile picture for fmccoy

how do i find the value of my home

January 02 2009 - Weston

On Zillow you look at the Zestimate and then go to the disclaimer at the bottom of the page and click on that.  It will tell you the percentage diference for the area you actually live in versus what the Zestimate is.  I live and work in St Petersburg, FL and the Zestimate is about 17% below what our selling prices are.  So, when I see a listing on Zillow I immediately add 17% to the list price to determine a ballpark price until I can really compare it to comparable sold properties within the last 3 months in the same or immediate area neighborhoods.

HI fmccoy,  I am a local REALTOR.  I would be happy to do a CMA for you.  Just send me your address.

Happy New Year!

Hello Fmccoy.....  The best, cheapest, and easy way is to contact a local Realtor, preferrably one who specializes in the area your home is located, and ask the Realtor to do a "Market Analysis" for you.  Or, if you want to sound really well versed, ask for a "CMA."  That's short for Comparative Market AnalysisRealtors offer this service for free.  Tell the Realtor all the details of the home that you can provide so they can be as accurate as possible.  Easy stuff!  They should be able to just e-mail it to you.  Good luck!

Zillow does not do appraisals or give a definitive "value", but you can get a Zestimate here. On this site you can go to the front page type your address in the box next to the"Find Homes" menu and hit the blue GO button. You should see a map and Zestimate value come up if Zillow has one available. There is lots of information available for your neighborhood there too. I find the comps and the Zindex to be the most valuable. You can also contact a local agent or get an appraisal for a more detailed and current value. Hope the info helps.