Profile picture for dumed2win

how doI reduce my property tax? My home has gone down $100,000 yet my taxes are the same?

March 18 2009 - Ocoee

First you have to contact the appraisal office in your county. Second, if you do not have it apply for Homestead exemption. Per Florida law, assesment are done a year in arrears with January 1 as the statutory date for determine the assesed value. Any changes in value will reflect in your assessment.

February 08 2011
Profile picture for alcmacle
how can I find out the comps. in my area ?

February 08 2011
Profile picture for Mr Caveat
find out when the last and next reassessment are scheduled... the govt will probably catch on within a year or two...

it should be noted that your assessment may go up if the value of the home is still above the assessed value or the state of florida has needed to levy more fees against home owners due to a tight budget... i admit the latter is more plausible in Florida, but still 

You would need to appeal your assessment through your local tax assessor's office based on the current value of your house at the beginning of the assessment period. Every municipality has different procedures, but they usually have very strict filing periods for appeals. If you miss the appeal period, you will pay the higher rate of taxes for the entire year even if your value has dropped. I would call your local assessor and tell them you need to get the information and deadlines on how to appeal. Although assessors generally will not consider a lower Zestimate as proof of lost value, you can use the recently sold comps, the Zindex percentage drop for your area and the change in the median price for your area on Zillow to prove a loss in value successfully.