Profile picture for carol408

how much did the house prices drop in Clifton Park, NY since 2006

I am looking at buying a house in CLifton New York,  This house was purchased in year 2006 for $600k and this year in 2011 they are listing the house for $600k.  I know the house values have gone down alot.  So how much should this house really go for.
  • May 17 2011 - Clifton Park
  • 0

The market here in the Capital District does not fluctuate like the rest of the country due to the diverse job market. 2006 was the peak for the particular area you are asking about (Clifton Park). Looking at my statistics, our market did drop but has rebounded and is actually about equal to or 5-10% higher than the 2006 market, depending on what specific area you are searching, type of housing, etc. 

Once you have selected an agent  to work with, they will look at comps for you.  The Capital Region market peaked in 2006/2007.  While we have had some short sales and foreclosures we have not experienced the dramatic drops in value that other parts of the country have.

I'd suggest you talk to friends, family, co-workers and ask for an agent referral.   Select an agent you trust to work with.  A buyer's agent will want to meet with you to discuss the home buying process and your goals.  They can also give you lender referrals to get pre-approved before you start home shopping.   A pre-approval letter or proof of funds (if paying cash) gets attached to your offer.

Zillow has a chart for that area here that might be useful.

The drop in Clifton Park hasn't been too much. However I have seen price drop of upto 10%. I If I were you I would start with 520K.