Profile picture for kakemote

how much i can bargain in current 30 yrs fixed rate

i have ~800 credit score and can put down20%. i have 2 question. Is is wise to pout 20 down in current market?
Can I ask a loan officer cto drop the rate in my case

your suggestions will be valuable

March 15 2009 - Little Rock

To answer your first question, is it wise to put 20% down in the current market, it depends on our overall financial situation.  If the 20% is going to leave you with nothing in the bank, then I would say not to put the whole thing down.  My reasoning is because you no longer have a safety net to fall back on should you loose your job, get a cut in pay, etc.  If you can afford the slightly higher payments because MI will be added in to the payment for having a less than 20% down payment, then the peace of mind of knowing that you are safe should overcome this increase.

If the 20% does not break the bank, then yes... put the whole 20% down.

You can always ask for a lower rate, but you may have to pay for it.  Dealing directly with lenders, you may need to buy down the rate to make this happen.  Dealing with a broker, you can ask for the "par" rate.  Most brokers charge a slightly higher rate to make a yield spread.  By asking for the par rate, you are getting the lowest possible rate without the buy down.

As for the buy down itself, you need to do some math to see if it is the right thing for you.  Here is an example of one that I just had the other day: They want to refinance their mortgage of $100,000.  Based on their profile, they had a par rate of 5%.  They wanted to buy the rate down to 4.75%.  To do this, it would have cost them almost $1000 in buy down fees.  They would have only saved $16/month.  This means it would have taken them almost 5 years before they broke even on the initial investment to make up for monthly savings.  Since they did not plan on living there that long, they did not see a reason for doing it.

There is not much room to bargain on rates in today`s environment. The 30 year rate is running between 4.75% and 5.25%. You can buy the rate down but it would make more sense to use it for down payment. Putting 20% down is smart as it prevents PMI insurance and will immediately give you equity for the future. Good Luck.

John Stainbrook