Profile picture for allthatzazz

how much should I expect to pay to have foil radiant barrier installed in attic?

I am needing someone to install the product.  Maybe I should buy it and hire someone to do this?  I am not sure-footed enough to reach the rafters or negotiate the beams.

February 27 2009 - Katy

Try posting your request for "Skilled Labor" or "Handyman" on Craigslist.org  --  you will get lots of responses. It will depend on how long the project will take. But on an average house's attic, I would figure that this could be done in less than a day. So maybe $100.

I would make sure anyone doing work in my attic was licensed and insured. All you need is a guy falling off his ladder or falling through your ceiling-- and then suing you.

Labor is very inexpensive right now.  I asked for a bid on some sheetrock work I didn't want to do and got about 75 responses.  My girlfriends boss put out an ad for a secretarial job and got 200 responses in an hour.  Just make sure it is someone you can trust.  Preferably a contractor.

Every attic will be different, depending on size and obstacles, even the height of the roof will affect the price. If you wanted to do it by yourself, get a couple of strips of plywood and lay them across the ceiling joists and work off of them. Start at the farthest point from the attic access and work back to it. If you want to get someone else to do it, get 3 estimates and ask for proof of workers comp and liability insurance. It's easy to step through a ceiling and do hundreds of dollars of damage in a second. Good luck, Dan - http://www.SunsetHomeRepair.com