Profile picture for laurabrks

how to report fraud for a home rental?

I recently contacted a property by clicking on the contact property manager link, and zillow redirected me to an email address that was neither the agent nor the home owner, but someone obviously focused on committing fraud.  After 2 emails exchanges when I asked to see the house (the person was out of the country and wanted for me to put down 5K deposit to see the house), I became obviously suspicious and contacted the local agent directly by looking up the agency phone number.  The house was rented awhile ago, is no longer being listed, and the email address was not the agent.  It would be a good idea to pull this listing down before anyone else has to go deal with these type of illegal tactics.
  • July 14 2011 - Los Angeles
  • 0

BW Office, it looks like the rental listing for your house in OH is coming from this feed here on Postlets. I have flagged it for you so hopefully someone at Zillow can help. You can also flag it by using the yellow "edit" pencil under the main house photo on Zillow here and "report problem with listing".

Zillow will remove fraudulent listings. You might also try using the contact form through my first Postlets link to contact the scammer and tell them you are turing them in to you attorney general for fraud. That may scare them off and get the posting removed faster too. Hope the flag helps.

Profile picture for BW Office
We have been trying to get ZILLOW to do something about a fraud rent scam going on on our property at 1007 Bluff Crest, Columbus, OHIO - No one from Zillow responds, cannot find a phone number - any help would be appreciated.

Call the police or FBI. Unfortunately there are a lot of scams out there and very hard to catch them especially if they are out of the country. The FBI is working on many of these types of scams tho. Start with the local police ans see what they advise and if you don't feel that they will do anything contact the FBI. I have contacted the FBI on getting calls from people attempting to collect for debts made up and them saying they are going to file a judgement if they don't receive a payment immediately. There are all types of scams these days so beware...

Zillow is very interested in learning about these scams.   I'll flag your post so Customer Service follows up with you (they'll need to know the address).