Profile picture for starlight3

i have 2 contracts for remodelling my house.

One was to the specific job inc basement.  The other was just the insurance job, and slightly higher amount.  Is this illegal,. The contractor want more money and refuses to do any work now thay have $40,000.00
  • September 09 2010 - Cobbs Creek
  • 0

Best Answer

If the contractor has not started the work and has not purchased any materials for the project they are not entitled to the money. 

As a general rule of thumb it is never a good idea to pay a large sum upfront.  I am a contractor myself with 15 years of experience.  I will only ask for a deposit or payment prior to commencing work on materials or specialty equipment for which I will provide supplier invoices.  Once paid those materials should be delivered promptly.

In your case you had a contract once the tradesman accepted your money and agreed to the price.  If they now want to renegotiate the contract you may demand that they return the deposit.  Generally, you do not want a contractor like that to work on your home because it could get worse as you get deeper into the job.

I also happen to be an attorney in Illinois.  This could quickly turn into a legal issue and you should contact an attorney licensed to practice in your area should things become contentious.

I would also recommend you contact your State Attorney General's Office.  They may have other complaints about the contractor and can help you with consumer protection issues.

Profile picture for starlight3
Does anyone have an idea, having 2 contract is illegal.  The job was an insurance job.  Payments was made on 2 seperate transactions.  The contractor was telling me they needed money to buy materials. when they got the 2nd check.  They never showed up, and when i enquire, say that he wants more money for job change and waiting for insurance check and permits. Any response will be appreciated!

Profile picture for starlight3
The workis an isurance job, ist payment   20,000.00 and July payment 20,000.00.  Is the contract illegal what can I do.  The address on his lic no, sstates that he is not known and the po box number was closed.

Profile picture for Aliceapartment
thank you very much for your reply. i can handed the work you can get back to me with the address

Before you get answers, let me ask you to clarify the situation.

It sounds like something happened to the house, and your insurance is going to cover the repairs.

It also sounds like a contractor came in and told you that they would do some additional work - and set it up so the insurance company paid for it all.

That contractor then provided you with two estimates/contracts. The first covers just the "work/repairs authorized by the insurance company". The second identifies the additional work they agreed to do, including the original work, and has a lower price than the contract for the "insurance work".

You have provided upfront payments of $40K to the contractor, either out-of-pocket or from the insurance company (my bet is out-of-pocket), and now the contractor is dragging their feet - and you want to know how to get them to perform.

Is this the situation?