Profile picture for mr.dean

i have been diagnosed with a rare eye disease, will i qualify now for a loan modification?

i have been working still but my eyes are losing their sight to a rare disease. can i qualify now before i lose my central sight, or will i have to wait, and try to lower my payment after i go completely blind?

July 09 2009 - Yucaipa

Profile picture for Melody91
Mr. Dean-

So sorry to hear of your situation.
I had a Cousin who went blind early in life, and actually got her Doctorate and ended up teaching at the Institution where she had been a Student.

Do you know how long till you lose your sight?
My dear cousin's came suddenly when an ill doctor (many years ago) snipped her optic nerve in surgery, and died 3 months later.

There are some places that can help you NOW, to plan ahead...to count stairs; to learn to feel your way around; to sharpen your other senses.  Perhaps you can start by learning to read and type in Braille..Maybe transcritions that are oral, could help you keep tyoing idf that is what you do, with a Braille keyboard.
Perhaps some job couseling could also help you, and even re-train you to use other strengths, which could be used for employment?

I would also gues that how many assets you have to draw upon might also influence the Bank as you shift gears into a different kind of life.

I also would assume (and I mean no offense, truly) that a period of sadness, sort of mourning the loss of your sight, might be expected.
You have time NOW to drink everything in with your eyes...Take a photo album into your mind, that you will carry forever...and no loss of sight can erase, would be among my best advice.

Where do you live?  In the Philadelphia Area the Overbrook School for the Blind, might be a resource. In the Boston Area, it is Perkins' Institute. No matter where you live, you could call either or both places and get some referral help.

How are tou at inter-personal skills? maybe telephone interviews?
To leave you with a positive thought, though my special cousin was a rare, positive and amazing soul, who despite blidness, ALWAYS dove into swimming pools from the top of the diving board, and swam in the Blind Olympics...she always was 'Thankful for the gift of becoming blind...that it helped her to see more of life in ways she would not have otherwise.'

Also bear in mind, that through fiber-optics, new discoveries come out every year....
I hope that some of this has been helpful, or sparked ideas you did not have before, and may G*D be with you.
   Wishing you all the best....Melody