Profile picture for gterobert

i need help finding a good real estate agent to purchase home in near future

This would be my first home if anyone can recommend someone let me know thanks
  • November 20 2013 - Berwyn
  • 1

We would all love to help you. Choose one who is honest and not pushy..you'll find the pushy ones are not working in the best interest of you but for a next paycheck.

Hello Home Buyer,

Congratulations on your endeavor. Your journey is the biggest reason I have been an agent since 1987.

Your great agent is a few specific questions away. That's right - questions! Your are about to 'Hire an Agent,' so be prepared to conduct an interview. What should you ask? Here are questions I would ask:

1. How long have you been in real estate? 2. With how many buyers are you currently working? 3. How many homes are currently on the market in the area? 4. How does this compare to one year ago?
5. How do you network with other agents? 6. May I see your resume? 7. What sets you apart form other REALTORS®? 8. Is real estate your only job and are you a full-time agent? 9. How do you find homes for sale? 10. What are the most buyers you have had at one time?

I would work with an agent who is a REALTOR®. Membership in the National Association of REALTORS® means an agent holds him/herself to the NAR Code of Ethics and a higher standard. Less experience should not eliminate a candidate if he/she knows their stuff and has a good attitude. There are some great agents right here in Zillow! Contact me if I an answer further questions. Good luck!

I would be happy to refer you to a RE/MAX agent in the area you are looking to buy.  I know how stressful and scary it can be buying your first home so having an experienced and knowledgeable agent will help make that transition a little easier.  Let me know!

Hello gterobert,
Congratulations on your decision to purchase a home! I was also a 'first-time' homebuyer, not too long ago, and thoroughly understand what you're experiencing.  If you haven't secured an agent/broker, I'd be more than happy to help you through this journey.  My specialty area is first time home buyers and the Berwyn area.

Again, many congrats on your decision!
[Content removed by Zillow Moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy]

I suggest asking the lender you are working with for your pre qualification for a referral to a good Realtor. The lenders work with several different Realtors and see in all situations, good and bad. They will be able to recommend a Realtor that is good at negotiations, is patient, kind and informed. Best of luck. 

I would suggest to ask people you know who have purchased a home recently or you can ask
friends and family and even co-workers another good source you could look under Zillow for find a Pro and read the agents review in your area.

Best wishes!

Profile picture for dinanelson
I am happy to recommend a Keller Williams agent in your area. Where are you looking to buy a home?
It would be good to interview a couple of agents to find out experience and availability. Often the more successful agents on record use buyer's agents and you never really work with that agent. Best to find that out in the beginning and speak with the one who will be taking you around. Most important factor is do they know that area well!
Best of luck on this exciting venture!

Profile picture for karenfeldman3
It is not tough.  Meet some, use your intuition.  Ask about experience.  You will be working closely with the agent- make sure you can stand to be around them!  Endless calls and emails.  If an agent understands you, is creative, and honest; you will have no problems.
good luck!
karen feldman

The first step is to become pre-approved for a mortgage loan. I would be more than happy to assist you with this if you're still shopping around. You can click on my profile for more information.

Thank you,
Ashley

The best way to find a good agent is to find a busy one, they are normally busy because they are good.  Then ask other people about them.  Call them and do an on the phone interview with them.  Call several.  Have a list of questions ready for them.  Have them give you a list of people they have worked in the past or are currently working  with that don't mind you calling them.  Best of Luck!!!

Profile picture for Andrew Malak
How may I help you? I work 7 days a week, evenings, and holidays. I've been in a Real Estate business for over 10 years. You always talk to me and not my assistant.

Hello:

I would be happy to help you get preapproved and find a great real estate agent in the area you are looking.  All real estate agents like to see that their customers are pre-approved for a mortgage before they take them out looking at homes.  Knowing how much you qualify for is the 1st step in the buying process. Please call or email me and I can get your pre-approved the same day.

Best regards,

Patty Harrison
Smart Mortgage Centers

Finding a good agent is tough.   The first step is to talk with friends, family, neighbors, colleagues etc to get some ideas.   Then, start interviewing.   Identify what is important to you: communication?  Area expertise?   Experience?    Then, talk with the person by phone.    Do they listen to your needs?   Do they try to push a sales pitch down your throat?      Don't hesitate to talk with 10 to 20 agents to find the one that will work with you.  (Please note: if an agent offers a referral, the agent will be expecting a referral fee).

Before you jump into it too hard, here's a link to the Zillow buyer's roadmap and hud section on buying a home.   Both are extremely useful so you can do it so you'll be happy in your new home.

I definitely think you should find someone you can trust - most people go with an agent referred to them by a happy family member, friend, co-worker, etc... 
If you can't find someone you know to refer you to a good agent, let me know. I know a good agent in the Chicago area - not sure if they specialize in the Berwyn-Cicero market but I can ask.

Good luck and hope you become a homeowner soon!

Profile picture for AndyLinss
Try to find someone local to the city/suburb you are considering.  If you don't know where to move to, there are agents that know the various areas well and can point you in the right direction, refer you, or help you wherever you want to look.

Profile picture for Francis Ignacio
Hi gterobert -

You can try looking for real estate agents in Zillow's Find a Pro directory and read past customer's review/recommendation for a certain real estate agent.

You can also visit our Zillow Help Center for other helpful information.

Francis Ignacio