Profile picture for 7rebecca

i signed a 3 year lease

now owner wants to sell wants me out I have a person wanting to buy it calling me asking me why I wont move out ,I have a 3 year lease,im only 7 months into lease do I have to move???
  • March 20 2014 - Chino
  • 0

You need to talk to somebody local; in some areas, there's a statutory limit on the length of residential leases.

The terms of your lease are the terms of your lease. Send the owner / property manager a written notification that if they want to buy you out of the lease you are willing to discuss it (heck if they want to pay you a years payments to move. . it may be worth your time). 

Review your lease for terms of showing (I assume nothing was originally put in there) and if that is the case you dont need to cooperate to even show the home. Its your property while you lease it. 

Hope this was useful

Sheri
[Website removed by Zillow moderator.]

No. You don't unless your lease says different. Tell the person calling that you're not going anywhere and tell them that if they continue to call you will report them for harassment.

A lease is binding. Although a 3 year lease is a bit unusual, if this landlord wants you out would have to pay you if you are willing to terminate early for their convenience. I would not accept less than 4 months rent to move out with 30 days notice. They picked the lease term and it costs money to change your mind.

PS If it was you the tenant who wanted out of the lease early, they would not settle for less than a significant cash payment. You deserve the same consideration for the inconvenience of moving.