i updated zillow with accurate info about my home but instead of it going up in value it decreased.

Originally it said the home was 1074 sq feet but that excluded 800 sq feet of finished and livable basement. Plus it said 5 rooms total when there is actually 11 rooms. I would have assumed that the value of the home would go up but instead it decreased 1.9%. Why do you think this would be?
  • April 06 2012 - Fridley
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
Zillow and its zestimates are just a starting place on value. Zestimates tend to be very inaccurate if homes are unique, higher end, and not in a cookie cutter neighborhood. And buyers are savvy enough to know that zestimates are just an automated computer generated value based ONLY on public information, that absolutely can't even take into account the current condition of your home. You can read more about what zestimates here:  http://www.zillow.com/wikipages/What-is-a-Zestimate

If you want to know what your home might sell for, look at recent sell prices and that may help. Or I would suggest calling 3 or 4 real estate agents and asking for a comparable market analysis. They will usually do these for free in hopes of earning your future business.

Zillow also has any changes made by homeowners and or agents SLOWLY phase in. It takes a good 6 to 8 weeks for the changes to fully take effect. I would suspect that with the changes you made, you will see a slow climb up, but it just hasn't started yet, since you just updated a couple of days ago. I hope this information helps.

On Zillow, as with most assessors,  above grade square footage is called out separately from below grade square footage even when the latter is finished liveable area.     The $$ value per square foot is considerably lower for below grade areas.

Therefore, on Zillow, one has the option of choosing the finish level for the basement (full, partial, unfinished). 

If you are thinking about putting your home on the market you may wish to make sure the details line up with your assessor's description of square footage.   Most buyers will expect an 1800 square foot home to have all that above grade, and won't be pleased to discover that ~800 of that is a basement.

Don't bother with Zillow when determining a value. Try contacting a few appraisers. However, It is illegal for them to give values now but if you word it correctly they may help you. Google "appraisers in your area".

Here are a couple examples on wording it correctly:

1). I Installed tile flooring throughout my property does 5% increase in my purchase sound "reasonable"?

2.) I installed a pool in my backyard does $10,000 sound "reasonable" in the increase of my property value.

Let them know that you understand it is illegal. You are simply seeing if its "reasonable". It is not illegal to say "Yes or No" that sounds/does not sound reasonable.