i want to enter into real estate business what is the best way to start

July 09 2012 - US

Congratulations on considering real estate for your career. I have been an agent for over 21 years and I still love the business!! I am amazed after all my time in the business, I am still learning new things and realizing there is more income to be made in many different sectors.

Real estate agents are typically paid straight commission and have a very high level of expenses. Some typical expenses are TAXES, annual license renewal, annual national and local association of Realtors dues, annual mls dues to access the multiple listings service, monthly lockbox key rental, for sale signs, lockboxes, business cards, any mailings and advertising, website development, car expenses, gas and expenses of entertaining clients (lunch, dinner, snacks on the road.)

Keeping those things in mind, along with the thought that most agents work for 6 months before they see their first commission check, the best place to start may be as someone's assistant. You will learn the business and their systems and still get paid. Your job will primarily consist of making appointments, printing fliers, taking pictures of new listings, entering new listings in the computer, preparing paperwork for offers and new listings.

Another thought is to start out as a buyers agent, an appraiser or a loan officer. I took a break in 2005 and worked in the mortgage business. I still think it was one of the smartest things I ever did. I gained more knowledge about the other side of the business and had a new level of confidence that helped me to propel to a new level when I reentered real estate. 

There are pros and cons of becoming a real estate agent, but I think one of the coolest things is when you help someone find their dream home, you will always be a special part of their life!!

Check with your local college regarding the necessary classes. Also do you have enough savings to carry you for several months with no income?

It depends on several factors. Ask your self a few questions. How much money do you have put up to start the business? How much time can pass before you MUST begin to profit? What elements do you think you would enjoy? How many hours a day can you devote to the business? These are just a few...