i want to see who lives in my neighborhood how do i do this

July 20 2012 - US

There are some electronic reverse phone books available that allow "neighbor" search.

I've been using an old one for years called "Prophone".  They got bought out by one of the giants in the industry, and lost a lot of functionality with lots of limitations added since they were bought out.  Obviously, some of the data on the CD's that came in the package is now obsolete.  But it is still sufficient for most look-ups that I want to do.

Since electronic white pages and electronic yellow pages are now so easily obtained on the internet, I'm not sure if buying the software package is worthwhile presently or not.  I still find it convenient, but I believe I got my money's worth out of the product many years ago.

Prior to the electronic phone books, for this area there were printed Polk's city reverse phone books by address.  I have a few of the older ones around that a friend gave me.  The local library reference section tends to have each year printed.  I haven't checked for new editions recently.

Also, when you go to vote, they are supposed to post the voting list by address at the entrance to the poling place.  The idea is that you would check to see if your neighbors remembered to vote, so that you might call them up to remind them, or ofter to drive them to the poll.  It is "public record", but they only allow copying the data for political campaigns, and there is a cost for buying the CD, and those that buy the CD must promise that they will not use the data for any other purpose.  The nice thing about such lists is you get an idea of their political beliefs without offending them.

You can find demographics by clicking on "local info" and entering your area.  

If you wish names of your neighbors and are too shy to ask, then the tax assessor's office may have accessible records.