Profile picture for puffpuff826

i would like to know how to get a mortgage my husband has been in the union for 23 years but always

but always paid cash for everything so he does not exist in the credit score i had him open a checking account in december and he has had 2 credit cards since november wont this help he makes about 5000 a month
  • June 09 2009 - Welch

As long as the credit cards have been used over the past 6 months I would expect by now that he should have at least 2 scores reporting which would be required for him to qualify.  Assuming the card balances are low and payments have been made on time the scores should be pretty good.

I would recommend working with a seasoned mortgage banker to get pre-approved before starting to shop for a home.  They can make sure scores are there and determine a price range of properties to look at.  (If you have minimal funds for down payment I would recommend an FHA loan.)

If you are a 1st time homebuyer you should close on a home before Dec. 1 to take advantage of the $8,000 tax credit.

Good luck to you!