Profile picture for dmhawkins123

if I buy a house with hard money, how long do I have to wait before I can refinance it ?

Does the hard money mortgage need to season for a certain amount of time before I can refi? And will I even qualify for refi? How good does your credit need to be to get refi?

November 09 2010 - Weatherford

I do several of these every month. Usually on investor purchases.

FICO score doesn't matter. Although, a low FICO score has not been the reason for any that I have done. Most have over a 740 Score. The primary reason is to be able to purchase quickly. Usually, it's interest only, three year terms, with a six month prepayment penalty.

The borrower is required to put 40% down with minimal documentation. Funding can occur within 10  business days of receipt of purchase contract.

The borrower can obtain traditional financing after 6 months with no penalty. The higher interest rate for such a short period, my 2 points and the lenders 3 points, nor the cost of refinancing is a concern. The concern is being able to purchase the desired property at a distressed price.

Be careful when you buy with hard money.  Obvious the rate is going to be higher than a normal purchase, but usually you will have one year to find permanent financing.  Also, most lenders want you to own the property 6 months before they will give you permanent financing, but if you have 620 you can still get an FHA loan around 4.5% on a 30 year fixed. :)

You can refinance anytime after the deed is recorded, which usually takes 2-3 weeks after closing. The hard money has no season. 
The refi will have the same lender requirements as a mortgage as far as credit score, so if your score is below 620 it will not be possible unless you go with a small local bank that is willing to lend.  

Why would you need to buy with hard money? The answer to that could determine the answer to your posted question.

Most are saying a 620 to 640 fico score for a mortgage. I would think a refinance is the same thing. The only problem with getting a loan at that low a score is you pay higher interest rates.