Profile picture for james alf

if I don't include my second mortgage, can I avoid paying mortgage insurance if my LTV is below 80%?

My first is due to adjust. I only want to refi my first and it will be below 80 LTV of the house if I don't include my 2nd mortgage. My goal is to avoid paying mortgage insurance. Is this possible?
  • November 26 2009 - Fullerton
  • 0

There are a few more variables in this question.  Is your loan currently held by Fannie or Freddie - where are you getting the values to assume an 80% LTV.  

There are refi programs out there which will let you do the first - but there is no way they will subordinate to the second.  You will most likely have to do both loans at once.

I would call a couple local mortgage brokers and give them your full scenario.  They will be able to give you a definitive answer on your options and the real cost involved.

20000% CLTV!   Giving people false hope that banks will really refinance to unlimited CLTV is a waste of everyone's time.  Are you sure you're really not a realtor in disguise?

Nic, No limit for CLTV.

Really Robin?  No limit? 

You may qualify for the Home Affordable Refinance Plan if you currently have a Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac mortgage.  There is no limit to CLTV with these programs!

Don is correct about the 80%. But, what percentage is your 2nd when combined with your 1st?

In CA you can't go over 90% with a 2nd doing a "normal" rate & term refinance. Also your 2nd will need to be willing to subordinate as 2nd position with your new loan. .... Good luck!

Yes, you would not have mortgage insurance if your first mortgage is at an LTV of 80% or less.