Profile picture for steff strickland

if I like a house what do I do next? Like getting phone number?

I need assistance! 
  • April 18 - Aurora

Hi Steff,

Have you been pre-approved for a mortgage loan? That should be your first step because you can not submit an offer without a lender letter stating that you are able to purchase the property.

As previously stated, you should also get a real estate agent to represent you, the name and number on the real estate sign represents the sellers interests, not yours. Make sure you ask the agent if they are familiar with the area you are looking to purchase in. Every area has it's own nuances and the agent should be able to advise you of such. Your agent is typically paid by the seller, so there is no cost or downside to you. 

I see you are also from Aurora, I live and work here as well. If you plan to purchase here in our fine city, feel free to contact me with any questions you may have about the area. Knowledge is only powerful if you share it!

Colleen
  • April 19

Hi Steff-
Congrats on finding a house you like, that is half the battle.
It does sound like you need a Realtor.  The seller very likely has someone working in "their" corner and you need someone in YOURS too.  Do not call the phone number on the sign, as that agent works specifically for the person selling the house.  Instead ask around with friends and family about an agent they have had a good experience working with.  Get in contact with them pretty quickly and they will help you indefinitely.  Good Luck.

Best regards,

Kim Rowland
  • April 18

Profile picture for faridabadi
@Leo
Steff is a buyer and you are telling him why sellers should hire a realtor so they can sell the house to him for 20% more. What a twisted advice for a simple question Steff asked. 
  • April 18

Profile picture for John Steeby
Great question.

You sound like this might be your first property. That's very exciting.

My suggestion is to work with a Realtor. In most cases, their fee will come from the Seller. And though if the Seller tells you that they will have to raise the price, still talk to a Realtor. Most FSBO owners sell at a 20% loss compared to agent assisted sales. Which means even if the price goes up say, 3%, your still saving 17% and getting a lot of advice and service that may head off costly mistakes.

I've been doing this for over 18 years and can tell you that no two deals are ever alike and that there is always...ALWAYS some snafu that comes along that the agent (ME) has to fix.

Use an agent. It just makes more sense.

Best of luck you.
  • April 18

Profile picture for Francis Ignacio
Hi steff -

If it's an active listing, you can find the contact information of the property's listing agent/owner at the bottom page of an active listing here in Zillow

You can also visit our Zillow Help Center/Zillow Agent Help Center for other helpful information.

Francis Ignacio
  • April 18

Hi Steff,

I would be happy to assist you with your home search -- if you find a home you like and want to see, give me a call or email me.

I usually sit down with my buyers for a consultation first to discuss the home buying process and how I can assist them with their search. I also ask if they've been preapproved -- in today's market, without that preapproval letter from a lender or a bank statement showing you can pay cash, it doesn't pay to go out and look at homes. They'll be gone before you know it.

Do reach out to me if you'd like my assistance.

Rochelle
  • April 18