Profile picture for lilsoleil

if I want to sell without listing with a realtor, what is the upside and what is the downside?

• April 27 2010 - Pinecrest

Profile picture for bmbutler
Kathy states:  If you sell without a Realtor, then you must know how to order inspections, how to order an appraisal, how to order Title Insurance and who pays for it.  If you are adamant about not hiring a Realtor, I would hire a Real Estate Attorney.

The mortgage company will order the appraisal, title insurance and who pays for it.  It is up to the buyer to order an inspection.  You absolutely want a real estate attorney.  I just sold my home using a flat fee MLS service and was on top of everything from advertising, online listings and flyers.  Is it time consuming?  Yes.  Is it too difficult?  No, if you educate yourself on the process.  That is the key!

Profile picture for rockinblu
"1. No Market Exposure - very limited exposure to buyers.
 2. No Access to agents with buyers."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Mills Team is obviously using the NAR's interpretation of a FSBO which doesn't include mls entry only aka flat-fee listed sellers. Hopefully they're not implying with #2 that all agents boycott FSBOs.

The Downside in selling without the help of a real estate professional:
1. No Market Exposure - very limited exposure to buyers.
2. No Access to agents with buyers.
3. Pricing might be off due to insufficient market knowledge.
4. Time - FSBO seller might not be able to accomodate showings at buyer's convenience.
5. Discount Value - FSBO seller is likely to get discount offers because the buyer wants to save the commission just as the seller does.

The Upside in selling without the help of a real estate professional:
1. FSBO seller might save commission if home sells at market value and within expected amount of t ime.

If you sell without a Realtor, then you must know how to order inspections, how to order an appraisal, how to order Title Insurance and who pays for it.  If you are adamant about not hiring a Realtor, I would hire a Real Estate Attorney.

Also, prior to becoming a Realtor, I sold my home for sale by owner.  It was very emotionally and mentally exhausting.  I didn't know any of the legalities of selling.  It did get closed, but took me 4 months from time of offer to time of closing.  Good Luck!

The upside is selling on MLS without paying a real estate commission,

There is no downside

Upside is that you save 3%.
Downside is that on average FSBO's get less for their house and their is a bunch of horrendous paperwork that goes along with selling a home that has to be done by you the seller.
I think that if your selling in an area where houses are less expensive and or buyers are buying with cash it may be a good idea to sell on your own with the help of a lawyer but I do not know if it really saves that much $$$. You can always give it a shot and if it does not work out interview at least 2 local agents who sell houses in your area and see what the terms would be for a full service listing. Marketing and handling the entire sales process through the end of escrow.

Rockinblu, I am not agreeing or disagreeing. Neither am I arguing. In fact, I have stated several times that there's bias depending which one you side with. I am simply providing info and advising that one do their OWN research based on their own discretion and their order of priority. I further stated that no stat is 100% accurate as the figures change constantly, just like the market does. There are pros and cons to both. 

Further, a true FSBO sale does NOT appear on MLS, which is generally a big boon to having a Realtor, aside from safety, expertise and many other factors BUT selling FSBO is not impossible if someone wants to take a stab at it. However, many do end up listing with a Realtor because it can become time-consuming, overwhelming and frustrating OR they simply take their home off the market awaiting a better opportunity. Especially during this Buyer's Market where there's too much supply and not enough demand. When demand is high and supply is low, it is a much better FSBO opportunity but today, especially with all the Short Sales and REOs, Sellers are at a disadvantage, making their property more difficult to sell, even for a Realtor at times.

One has to weigh their options and decide what is best for them. I did provide a site from FSBO America that clarifies some of those pros and cons.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Georgina,

Below is a copy and paste reply i made to another agent using NAR statistics. 

Please don't align yourself with questionable and  totally biased statistics from the NAR regarding the success of FSBOs. The simple truth is that most high end properties are sold with agent representation. Along with that, sellers who sell with the assistance of a flat-fee listing service are not counted as FSBOs by the NAR, and most family and friend discounted transactions are probably done without an agent, All these factors skew the median number dramatically higher in favor of agent represented properties, but by no means does it mean that sellers net 23.5% more in an apples to apples situation.

In my case it was quite the contrary. If I had listened to my agent, I would have netted almost 30k less. My whole saga is well documented on this board starting back in 2007. 

Agents have stated on this forum that the figure by the NAR of FSBOs giving up and going with an agent is 80%. Think about it. If 80% of FSBOs gave up in 2008 and hired an agent, but yet accounted for 13% (their number) of the sales, that would mean that 65% of the sellers (.13/.20) would have had to start out as FSBOs. How realistic is that now? BTW, the math is correct. I had help  figuring this out on another thread from socal_engr, White Picture, dearad, and Pasadenan.

I'm still trying to figure out their math from the 2008 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers. In it they state that  81% of sellers used a full service brokerage, 9% used a limited service arrangement, and 9% used a minimal service such as just listing a property on the MLS, and yet stated another 13% of the sales were FSBOs. In NAR math, I guess 81,9,9, & 13 add up to 100.The next time you want to rely on statistics from the NAR for your case against sellers doing a FSBO, you might want to read this blog first

Here's a FSBO article you may be interested in. http://www.fsboamerica.org/FSBO-vs-Broker.cfm 

Thre's pros and cons. It just depends what you consider more important. I've known some that have gone FSBO &sold but that was mostly during the bubble. Now everything is slow & time-consuming. My FSBO issue is safety.  When a Realtor shows homes, they generally ask ?s & request a Pre-qual to avoid wasting their time & be sure he/she's serious about purchasing. It does depend on the agent.

As stated, you can do your own research on stats, etc.. Everyone has a bias side so whether you agree or disagree, believe or disbelieve is up to your own discretion.

Socal_engr is not going to be satisfied with any stats or info provided, however, most of those stats and info are created by Real Estate professionals since that is their area of expertise. You can feel free to do your own research and create stats that you may be more satisfied with to see if the numbers and info changes. I am aware of the pros and cons. 

I have always used an agent b/c they know how to market nation and worldwide for an offer and at times, multiple offers. They also saved me the time and inconvenience of dealing with it myself. They have always been worth the commission I have paid before I became a Realtor. I would have likely lowered the price just to get rid of the house, where they marketed it at a just price. But that's me. FSBOs have their emotions wrapped up on the sale and that can be detrimental as well.  Some FSBOs do get lucky and sell quick but that's about 2% of the FSBOs. I will provide FSBOs with free info to help them sell it themselves. I may call once every two weeks to see how it's going. Some usually give up and decide to have a Realtor sell it. It really does come down to best house, best price.

Profile picture for hpvanc
Do realtors have stats for the % of realtor listed houses sell in the 1st 6 months with the original agent?  If it has been posted recently I haven't seen it, can you post the link to here? 

Georgina...

Just piled higher and deeper. Where is the underlying data? The NAR report costs $125 just to look at, and even then I have a suspicion that the underlying data is not provided.

My point, and that of many others, is simple. NAR stats supporting NAR positions should be viewed with a fair amount of skepticism. When someone posts stats that can be verified (i.e., with supporting raw data), well...that will likely be a first.

Here's a few stats: http://www.realtor.org/library/library/fg006

It's easy to do a search depending on what you're looking for and how you word it on the search.  I'm sure none are 100% accurate or 100% unbias but it'll atleast provide some basic idea.

"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."

"Homes sold with the help of a real estate professional in 2006 sold on average for 32 percent more than FSBO sales. The median FSBO selling price in 2006 was $187,200, compared with $247,000 for agent-assisted transactions."

The quoted text is from the NAR "FSBO Facts". Only problem is, it's really meaningless without context.

32 percent more... - Were these similar homes? Is part of the issue that FSBOs tend to be lower in the market segment due to cost/margin? Has anyone heard of mean/median/mode, and understand how a few outliers on the high side can skew the "average"?

It would be more compelling if NAR made the raw figures available, vice the processed marketing stats they posted.

Here's the National Association of Realtors site: http://www.realtor.org/research/research/fsbofacts

I agree with Mariah. You may save in Broker Fees, etc.. however, you'll have to spend the money to advertise yourself and it's not likely to be nationwide or worldwide advertising. Many FSBOs are by-passed because they do not appear in our MLS and Realtor.com.

You are also subjecting yourself to a "Security" issue since you don't know who's coming into your home and what their true intentions are, plus, you may not know if they are pre-qualified for a mortgage in order to be able to afford your home if they are interested.  What is your time and safety worth?

Open houses are generally for Realtors to obtain Buyer leads for OTHER property b/c most prospects that view the property are just looking or will not be interested in the house they viewed.  I do believe the odds are that only 2% will by the house they viewed at an open house.

Also, most FSBOs will list with an agent (90%?) of the time. By that time, your GOLDEN TIME to show your property has passed which is considered the first 4-6 weeks it's on the market.

I also read that The National Assoc of Realtors statistically discovered that a Realtor puts more money in your pocket than trying to sell it yourself. There's reasons why Realtors have been around for a 100 years.

Another thing, we cost nothing to the Buyer so it's to their advantage to hire a Realtor, so what homes are Realtors likely to show them? Homes on MLS unless you are willing to pay a Buyer's Agent to show your home. Also, who's going to draw up the sales contract?

Lil, obviously you already have formed your opinion on the matter, so I won't try to change your mind.  To put it succinctly, biggest upside is that you save money on commission, biggest downside is that you could be losing a ton of money by trying to sell it yourself.  Best of luck.

Everyone has their own camp. Realtors and FSBO's. Believe what you will even after reading all the links provided by others.

The obvious upside is cutting your costs. How that ultimatley pans out depends on who's buying. Consider what you need to do and when it must be done by. Time can cost as well and anyone selling in a down market better be sure they make the right moves for their own sake. I've never met e FSBO who chased me away with my qualified buyer but it all comes down to money doesn't it?

The ultimate downside for a seller is getting to a price that works, marketing and then fielding the calls and e-mails from strangers who most likely just want to look at the place. Not to mention brokers/agents who will try to get a listing. Price it too high and it just sits there.

How do you get the information out to the broadest amount of people? Marketing can cost some bucks. What is the best way to market? As a FSBO that will be yours to determine. Open House? sure, if you don't mind evey neighbor with nothing better to do coming over for a look-see. How do you qualify a possible buyer? Can you recommend a house inspector? What about the property disclosure form? Will you offer any seller's concession? What if the offer is verbal, below your price and they want other concessions? There is much to consider. Good luck out there.

rockinblu:

I was a FSBO who happened to be a licensed realtor and had access to the MLS. That is my point. Realtors/agents represent themselves and therefore are FSBO's in my book. The NAR uses MLS data to produce numbers that benefit their membership. Any sale by an unreresented buyer who contacts an owner who happens to be listed in the MLS through an MLS only service is counted in the NAR stats as a realtor assited sale and only because you must be a licensed realtor to participate.. This methodology is mis-leading and we all know it.

I was a FSBO. My licensing and MLS access did not change the fact that I went at it alone and without the assistance of a listing agent. Why didn't I hire another agent? I wanted to save the 3% listing broker fee. The same reason many if not most FSBO sellers do it.

The truth is, all sellers are FSBO's. Some pay  more than others for some additional services, but they/we are all still FSBO's.

One final comment. The realtor comments that buyers will automatically offer less to a FSBO than a realtor represented owner because no listing fee is involved is just another false statement and desperate attempt to protect their self-interests.

Profile picture for rockinblu
@jkonstant,

Even though you're a Realtor, when you sold your own home one would think you did a FSBO. However, the NAR's interpretation of a FSBO is that to fully qualify as a FSBO, along with selling by owner, the listing can't appear in the MLS. Since I'm not a member of the NAR, to me you did the sale as a FSBO, particularly since even as the owner you were still able to do your own MLS entry, and represent yourself. First and foremost, you were the owner. You just happened to be a Realtor.
Correct, or did you have another agent do the listing, and handle the sale contingent on you receiving a referral fee? If that would've been the case, then obviously you wouldn't have been a FSBO.

When I sold my own home, I offered and paid the going rate to the buyer's broker/agent. I did not pay the going listing rate.

Was I a FSBO? Who represented me?

I have sold houses fsbo and with an agent.  For me, it always came down to how much time did I have to devote to the sale.  I did the up front research, then made the call based on my circumstances at the time.  Both ways worked.  With each sale, both the buyer and I walked away feeling the deal was good.

(if you have not read rockinblu's blog, please do so)

ElliotjdlkAbigail is a bot. Please flag this account everyone. The bot is copying and pasting a random cluster of text from other peoples posts and placing it in a new post. The purpose is to spam links in the profile. I have flagged this account twice.

The upside is you won't be pestered with all those annoying buyers wanting to place offers on your home.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Jeez Kevin, are really that behind? Below is a link to info on the 2008 study. Furthermore, in neither of the surveys are there comparisons made of like houses in the same neighborhood. The reference was to a comparison between median selling prices between agent assisted sales, and FSBOs. The simple fact is that most higher end homes are sold with agent representation skewing the sales price number dramatically in their direction.

http://www.realtor.org/press_room/news_releases/2008/11/home_buyer_and_seller_survey_shows

If we're going to post links on old statistics and studies, I have a few too.

http://faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/~ane686/research/fsbo.pdf

http://www-siepr.stanford.edu/papers/pdf/06-41.pdf

The following is from the article attached to the link below the paragraph.

"If you're selling, it's your call.
The 82 percent of our respondents who sold with the help of an agent received $5,000 less, on average, than their original asking price. Almost all of the 17 percent who sold their homes without an agent said they received about what they originally asked."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/money/real-estate/real-estate/what-the-survey-found/real-estate-what-the-survey-found.htm

Profile picture for John Valdez
Most FSBO's think they are saving money by not using a Realtor. Studies have shown they will net more from a sale with a Realtor than without. Another factor is how much is time worth for the homeowner. When they spend a whole day sitting in their house doing an open house when they could be spending time with their family. In fact, current statistics show around 70% of FSBO's eventually use a Real Estate Professional to sell their home. Do the research on the pros and cons.

There is nothing magical about selling a property.  A property like anything else sells for two reasons Price and Promotion.  If its worth $200,000 and you list it for $500,000 you can promote the hell out it by advertising on national TV but more than likely it will never sell.  You can say you'll sell it for $150,000 but if you never tell anyone it's for sale it'll never sell. 
If you ask 3 RE broker's to give you a market analysis you will have a very good idea where it should be priced.   The more you market it the better chance you have of getting offers.  There is no better way to market a home forsale than MLS.  I believe 90% of homes sell through MLS.  RE brokers have access to MLS.  In my opinion to get the most exposure and highest price your property needs to be in MLS.

The 2nd benefit to using a RE broker is negotiations.  If you have to show property how do you get a potential buyer to make an offer.  And if the buyer does make an offer what do you say.  You may think it'll be easy but its not face to face for most people.  A potential buyer will never tell about the things he doesn't like about the house but he'll tell a broker.  and then the broker can make suggestions to overcome teh objectives.  Its just better for your bottom line if you have a middle man.  A good RE broker is worth his/her weight in gold especially if a problem comes up..  A poor one is a waste of money.  People think their saving a commission fee what they don't know is they could have gotten a better price using a broker and its less work.

Upside is by using a realtor you will sell quicker and for more $$$. You could think of a commission as a downside, but the higher price you get because of using one will make up for it. Look at the statistics and you will see what I am talking about.

http://www.realtor.org/research/research/fsbofacts

I presume you want to save the commission right? Well if you cooperate with a selling agent only and offer 3% then you may save the listing commission of 3% right? So we are talking about 3% in theory. Problem being an unrepresented seller is that a buyer will want that 3%. So you will probably have to negotiate a lower price. Look, the real estate industry is here for a reason, it works! If a buyer and seller could get together and agree on price and terms over a cup of coffee, and then stick to what they agreed on, there would be no real estate business as we know it, but it does not work that way.

Do yourself a favour talk to a couple of local knowledgeable agents and keep yourself out of trouble.

Profile picture for Barbara Q.
You should read Rockinblu's blog about the ins, outs, ups and downs of FSBO. Educate yourself before making your decision. Be sure to read the part about offering financial incentives...Bankrate article and 321advantage.
Good Luck with your decision!

Profile picture for Mills Realty
Selling on you own can be difficult and time consuming.  Most FSBO's problems with agents is not the service, but rather the commission.  Instead of doing it on your own find an agent who is willing to charge what you are willing to pay.  I do listing for $500 + 1/3 of 1%.  If you do your research in your area you will be able to find a professional who is willing to work within your parameters. 

1. 1
  2. 2