Profile picture for Bettylboop

increasing property taxes

I bought my home in Madison, Georgia in January 2008 for the price of $184,000.  My neighbor paid $220,000 for the same exact model 2-3 years ago when the housing market was hot.
My home is stripped with no upgrades.  He has upgrades galor including granite counter tops and I have laminate.

The county wants to appraise my house at the price he paid for his and as we all know, housing prices have fallen and no one can give their houses away in my subdivision (which is very nice).

The builder gave me a great deal because they wanted out of this subdivision due the market.

How can I fight the county and the tax assessors to reflect the true value of my  home?

January 11 2009 - Madison

I would definitely tell them what you said here in Zillow. I would have a copy of my closing paperwork showing what you paid for the house as well when I went down to the tax office along with any appraisal that was done at the time you bought your home.  This can help validate your claim.

This is actually a fairly easy answer, but it will require a little work on your part.  Depending on the county, you have to file a challenge to the tax appraiser's figures by a certain time each year.  I would definitely call or go by the tax appraiser's office and simply ask them how to challenge a tax bill.  They will tell you exactly what you need to do.  This doesn't mean they will agree with you, but they will walk you through the required steps.